Bead and cove bit question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Dan Both

Bead and cove bit question

Post by Dan Both »

I am looking to buy a 1/4" bead and cove bit to route the strip edges for a cedar strip canoe, Lee Valley has two different types.
One type is the combined bead and cove where you raise or lower the bit to cut the profile you want.
The second type is a separate bead and cove bit; these have a much lager radius than the combined bit.
With a constant speed router is there any advantage/disadvantage to the larger radius bits? They would have a faster cutter face speed and cut on a shallower radius.

thanks again,
Dan
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Dan,
I doubt you would notice any difference in cut. If you will only ever have one router, you could buy the single bit and probably save a couple of bucks. If you think you might have access to another router, buy the separate bits and you can bead and cove in one pass.

Please consider buying one of the new sets from MLCS. There is a thread from a few months ago. This bit is 5/16", which creates a shallower cove, with less fragile edges and more flexibility going around the bilge. They created this set for us, if you are so inclined, please support that responsiveness. And no, I don't work for MLCS :wink I do appreciate a company that responds to the needs of it's customers. Several users have purchsed these bits, you might ask about their experiences. I haven't got my set yet, but will, as I'm starting a kayak soon.

Good luck with your canoe,

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

My first set of B&C bits came from MLCS, and after cutting strips for nearly 20 canoes, I'm still using them!
I would buy the two bit set. Instead of having to adjust the router, just change the bit, they should both be the same height.
Mine are set in two different routers, but I only run one at a time. I feel I have better control of the quality of the strip!
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Woodbark

Post by Woodbark »

DAN, you may want to check out Busy Bee Tools at www.busybeetools.com
prices are usually pretty decent.
** IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED -- TRY DOING IT YOUR WAY **
GEORGE.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Jim.
I bought the new 5/16" Bead and cove set from MLCS. The two bit set. I expected the shafts to be the same length for easy set up but they are not. I think there was about 1/4" to 1/2" differance in them. I bought the set with the 1/2" shafts. Don't know if the 1/4" shaft set is the same. On the positive side they cut well ( if only I had cut the coves deep enough ) and they are about half the price of other sets in the UK and that includes p&p.
Thumbs up for MLCS.
:cool
Roscoe
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Roscoe
I bought the 1/4in shanks, back in the early 90's. I bought a set more recently, also 1/4in shank, they were the same height, but I haven't used them yet.
Check your strips often, if they were cut uniform you'll be pleased with the results!
Good Luck!
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!