Station 0 and 16 on the Freedom

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Eric In Mi

Station 0 and 16 on the Freedom

Post by Eric In Mi »

Is it possible to omit station 0 and 16 on the Freedom 17 and get fair lines?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

In my opinion, yes you can eliminate them. If you check the measurements for the stem mold, they are taken from stations 1 and 15. I have noticed that several designs mention these small forms near the ends but if you have the plans from Bear Mountain, they usually say that you can omit those stations.
Eric In Mi

Post by Eric In Mi »

Well much thanks to Glenn's website and lofting instructions I have completed my plans, I guess I'm actually underway..... I just hope they are right :thinking There are a hell of alot of points in a small area on a asymeterical canoe I am glad I decided to label each of them, again thanks to Glenn, hopefully my lines don't bury them all and I get lost.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

A little tip, when lofting lines for an asymmetrical canoe, draw the bow-wards forms to the right of your vertical centerline and the stern-wards forms to the left of the vertical centerline ( or vice-versa ). Or use two sheets. There will be less clutter on the plan sheet. I guess I should add that info to my lofting instructions.

I added instructions for asymmetrical canoes on my "Lofting 101" section. I wanted to put it on page 1 but it was too much text for MSN so I noted to see pic # 15 for instructions.
Eric In Mi

Post by Eric In Mi »

That is something I decided on myself. I did plot each station full, but do to the close proximtiy of the line and sharing of some points of the stern and bow halves I think I have decided to draw the lines for the bow on one side of the center line and the stern on the other. I was already to the 11 station before I really noticed how congested it was so I decided to press forward. If I was to do it again I would draw only half on each side or use 2 sheets. I am thinking about doing it agian, but that would be 4 hrs wasted. Damn retrospect is so damn frustrating.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

FYI, when I built my Freedom, I didn't use those forms.
Oshan OkaPini

17:0 & 16

Post by Oshan OkaPini »

I asked this same question on the old board when I was setting up the stations on my F17.

Ted Moores answered (!) and said that these 2 stations are difficult to reach and they can be omitted, if desired, without adversely effecting the lines.

I desired. Canoe came out fine.

Norman in MS
Right now, there is no cure.