Half-inch vs quarter-inch router?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Rick

Half-inch vs quarter-inch router?

Post by Rick »

I was going to make strips using a router that will take quarter-inch shank "canoe" bits, but maybe it's worth spending the money to buy one that will take half-inch shanks, so that other items can also be made besides strips... I don't have enough experience to decide on what the best choice would be, any comments or advice from router users here?
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

Rick,
I have used a 1/4" router for 25 years now with no few problems and have beaded and coved many a strip. It really depends on what you mean by "other items". If I were making raised panel doors with a router, I think the 1/2 would be a good investment. You can do lots of routing with your 1/4".
Dale
ealger

Router

Post by ealger »

Rick, the decision on 1/2" versus 1/4" bits rests on the kind of cutter you wish to use. For instance, round over bits to 1/2" radius typically come in 1/4" shanks. Larger radius require a 1/2" shank. Spiral carbide cutters over 5/16" require 1/2" shanks.

The Porter-Cable 690LR is 1 3/4 HP tool which comes with 1/4" and 1/2" collets. I often will have 2 or 3 of these tooled up at one time when in production to save time in bit changes.
Noise is another factor. The whine of a large cutter on a 1/4" shank gets to me. But this is a subjective call. :wink
Ed..
Ed Alger
Knute

Post by Knute »

Rick, in a previous life I was a Project Engineer at a major tool manufacturer in Jackson, TN.

Your best value for power and versatility is something like a PC690PK router. This package has both a fixed base and a plunge base, it has 2 collets (1/4 and 1/2), plenty of power and built for 8 hr/day use. Variable speed on routers this size is just money out of your pocket. Variable speeds are important when you hit the big routers, like PC7518, and have a large diameter bit. These must be slowed down for best cutting performance.

Stick with a major player in the router arena, such as Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Freud or Makita, Steer well away from the others. Don't be sucked in by feature fluff, this stuff doesn't offer much advantage, unless you are the manufacturer. Feature fluff removes $$ from your pocket and adds to thiers.

I cut all my coves and beads with a PC690 using Frued's canoe bits, 1/2" shank.
I'm the lucky one,
my poor wife married an idiot.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

You can use 1/4 or 1/2, your canoe won't know the difference!

As for routers, I believe in buying the best you can afford!
Having said that, I've used two "cheap" Sears 1/4in x 1 1/8hp. Purchased these on a close out for $20 a piece. They have cut strips for me, and several friends! A total of 20 canoes.

I'd say it's a builders choice, and which ever way you go, it'll work!
Good luck!
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Rick

Post by Rick »

OK, I'll go ahead and buy the 1/4" shank canoe bits... I don't have any projects for a more powerful router at the moment, if the need arises at some point in the future, maybe the next one will be able to take both 1/4 and 1/2 collets.

Thanks for your comments!
ealger

Router

Post by ealger »

Also Rick, you might wish to survey the treads in this forum regarding 5/32" vs 1/4" radius B&C bits before you order your cutters, if you haven't already.
Ed...
Ed Alger