paint over varnish

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jim in texas

paint over varnish

Post by jim in texas »

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to paint over varnish?I was thinking of painting the top of the 1/4 inch strip that runs between the inwale and outwale and then putting a coat of varnish over the paint. The reason I am thinking of doing this is to hide some epoxy and fine sawdust that I mixed together and filled in a couple of gaps that I had between the gunwales .Needless to say it did not come out very good.Part of being a first time canoe builder I guess.Thanks for anyone advice for this one.
Knute

Post by Knute »

Sand the area to be painted. That will give the paint something to grip. Then varnish ahs usual.
I'm the lucky one,
my poor wife married an idiot.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Another option, that will work, is to cap the shear strip.

Cut your outwhale so it covers, or caps the shear strip. I usually cover with an 1/8in of outwhale, then when you install the inwhale. match it to the same level.

A picture here would be a great help!

By The way, I glue the outwhale on using epoxy and filler, this further seals the shearstrip, as well as the outwhale!

Good Luck!
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!