Launch Day!!!

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
KenC

Post by KenC »

Snowman wrote:Ken, ...I would appreciate any info you could provide to help me understand your previous comments.
Snowman - I weigh ~230 lbs, which may be a little on the heavy side for this boat, since Bear Mountain lists the design displacement at 280 lbs. But I like it. Yes, I generally find it tracks well, in most conditions.

My stomping grounds are the Great Lakes and smaller inland lakes in southern Ontario. I usually paddle with minimal cargo - standard safety gear plus a small drybag for personal effects, a couple of water bottles and some snacks. I've also paddled fully loaded for a few days of camping ... with all the cargo in addition to my 230 lbs, it sat a little low in the water ... it paddled fine, but I never encountered any rough conditions on that trip so I still don't know how it'll handle in rough conditions with cargo.

some pics

I often paddle at my in-law’s cottage on a lake that can get rough & windy at times. I plan to make up a bunch of half-pound sandbags to keep at the cottage so that on the rough days, I can play around with the trim to see what works for me. I’ll also try loading it up with random heavy cargo next time there’s rough conditions.
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

Beautiful kayak Snowmanl!!!

Jeff
John K

Post by John K »

canoeblderinmt wrote:Snowman,
I'll definitely have to have a good head-scratching session over this idea of using a triangular sheer clamp. As soon as I read of your idea of planing off the back of the clamp instead of using a fillet, I got out Kayakcraft to look at the various drawings and pictures. The first issue that hit me was the one you brought up in your reply: Getting enough meat for the screws to hold. The other issues I see are modifying the notch in each mold to hold a triangular sheer and then making a jig to safely cut an 18' long narrow triangular sheer. It may not be worth the effort. What would I save, maybe a pound or two at most? But I'll think on it some and let you know if I am crazy enough to try something like that. I just had a thought...What about aluminum angle? More to think about :thinking

Greg
Hi All,
About that sheer clamp, forget it totally. Just put a hardwood strip as the outer strip of the deck to protect against knocks, and glue deck and hull together. The sheer clamp does nothing except prevent a little spray.
Cheers
John
John K
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

John, you have it wrong. The sheer clamp is inside the kayak and it holds the deck and hul together. You are thinking about the sheer guard.
John K

Post by John K »

You're Correct Glen,
Too long between building is guess. Wink
Still, my point is still the same. I don't think they serve much purpose.
Cheers
John
John K
John K

Post by John K »

As to the sheer clamp, I also made it triangular. I planed it down with the electric plane in about 5 minutes, and finished with a scraper. I then ran the fibreglasson the underside of the deck up over the edge and after mating the deck and hull epoxied it down.
Hopefully this post helps. :-(
John
John K
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

John,

What you described was exactly what I did with my sheer clamp, except I used my hand plane... :wink

Snowman
Snowman back East