Freedom 15' 3" and 16' 2" Solo - New Design Ready

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Steve Killing

Freedom 15' 3" and 16' 2" Solo - New Design Ready

Post by Steve Killing »

Hello All,
The drawings for the new Freedom Solo, buildable at 15' 3" and 16' 2" are now ready.

The plans were mainly developed for the 15' 3" boat, but expanding the station spacing to 12 3/4" (from the standard 12") and using the special stem mold shapes (included in the plans) will result in a very fine 16' 2" canoe.

All the features discuss on this forum were considered and many incorporated into the final design. The stems have been slightly modified, the tumblehome starts further aft and of course we have capacity for larger paddlers. I hope you like it.

The description from the plans is as follows:
'The Freedom 15’ 3” Solo is the result of a unique project initiated in the spring of 2006. Steve Killing had been considering a new solo tripping canoe design and, coincidentally, discussions on the Bear Mountain internet builders’ forum were about a similar boat. As an experiment, Steve decided to poll the opinions of paddlers and builders as he designed the boat. Predictably, opinions varied, but did so about a common theme. The boat, they felt should be short, light, medium tracking and therefore medium maneuverability, low freeboard, narrow, and offered in two lengths. The unique tumblehome chine was accepted (by most) as a good solution, attractive, and relatively easy to build. The result is a fine solo tripping canoe which will require at least intermediate paddling skills due to its lower-than-average stability. Designed by Steve Killing and a bunch of internet friends he has never met.'

Attached here are images of the lines drawing page, the web image and the specs from the first page.

I look forward to hearing of progress from our first builders.

Regards,
Steve Killing

canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Steve,
Congrats on the launching of what I'm sure will be another successful design. My next project is another of your designs, the 17' Endeavour. Best of luck with this new effort. Can't wait to see one built!

Fair Winds and Following Seas,

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Put me on the list!
How soon will these plans be available?
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
sedges

Thank you

Post by sedges »

Steve! I like the looks of this, especially the changes to the stern. Will be ordering plans as soon as they are available, but have several projects to finish before the strongback is available for a new start. Looking forward to paddling this on a 10-14 day trip in Quetico Park in a couple of years. Jim Sullivan, Toccoa, GA
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Wow! Steve this canoe looks great. Love the new stems! This is one of the best looking solos that I've ever seen, and I can't wait to get it on the water.

When the plans are ready for purchase, I'm ready to hand over my cash! I'll be putting the finishing touches on my latest build this week and varnishing my kayak that I finished last fall, and then the shop will be ready for this canoe! I vowed to paint the outside of my next canoe yellow, but I'm rethinking that vow now.

Thanks,
Bryan
Rick

Post by Rick »

Steve, thanks for bringing out these plans - the new solo looks really good... only trouble is, I'll have to wait till next summer to paddle it. Looking forward to this winter project!
Steve Killing

Plans Delivery

Post by Steve Killing »

I just checked with Bear Mountain and they are taking orders over the phone (the Freedom Solo has not been added to the web list as yet). They expect to be shipping plans as of mid next week (May 17, 2006)

Cheers,
Steve
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

:applause :applause :eyebrows :applause

I've always hated those distracting smileys but perhaps this calls for them! Just when I was thinking I wasn't sure if I'd build another strip built boat, opting for something a little quicker like a SOF or S&G, something like this comes along.

Now what to do - build the Quetico for the whole family or the Freedom Solo for me! Well, first I should finish the guillemot.

http://pawistik.blogspot.com

Cheers,
Bryan
tom in caledonia

Post by tom in caledonia »

Hi Steve, Nice canoe!
How do you think the 16'2" would perform as a tandem? I'm just completing my Redbird and I'm looking for something slightly smaller but will still need two seats. I was considering a Bob's or Prospector but these plans look really nice.
Thanks in advance.
Tom
Steve Killing

A boat built for two

Post by Steve Killing »

The hull shape of this solo boat would work fine as a tandem, but the pulled-in sheerline is not the best for seats near the ends of the canoe. If you are very small, and can handle a narrow seat it may be OK. A better small boat would be a boat designed for two like the Freedom 15, the Bob’s Special, the Ranger 15 or the Prospector (if you want big volume).

Regards,
Steve
tom in caledonia

Post by tom in caledonia »

I thought it looked a little small but wanted to make sure. Thanks
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Awesome design Steve

See if you can convince Ted that building one for the Rendezvous '06 would help with sales. I'd love to see it up close in the 3D form.