Varnish --- yet more trouble....

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Dan.

Varnish --- yet more trouble....

Post by Dan. »

So, the outside is varnished.... it all hardened up. Moved onto the inside: 24 hours later the WHOLE inside is still tacky.... Epiphanes varnish thinned 15%, room is 21degrees RH is about 40% today. What do I do?

I tried wiping it down with thinner, and that removed the sticky varnish without too much trouble.... but I am working in the basment and the fumes are starting to get to me + what am I doing wrong? why did the outside cure and the inside not? same exact conditions? any suggestions?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

How long has it been since you applied the last coat of epoxy on the interior? It can take several weeks, even up to a month, for the epoxy to set completely. Varnish applied to epoxy that hasn't set might take a long time to dry and might never dry. I have had situations where the first coat of varnish has taken up to 3 days to harden beyond the tacky stage. By wiping it off you may have reacted too hastily. :thinking
Dan.

Post by Dan. »

Last coat of epoxy went on may 3 or 4.... You think that 2 weeks is not enough time? Perhaps.... I only wiped off a small section just to see if thinner would take it down, it did.... I will wait another few days.....

The suspense is killing me, Palmerfest is this weekend and I wanted to have the boat ready to showoff to my whitewater friends. Maybe this is divine intervention? I can just see myself there...

"I just want to see how she ferries.... I just want to see how she surfs.... You think I can ender it?........ I wonder if this wrap will damage the ceder...." yeah maybe for the best that she wont be done. :rolling eyes
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Dan,

Sorry you are still having varnish woes! Just a note in case you get the inside done before the weekend. The varnish will still be quite soft, so be careful how you tie your canoe to your car or you will have rope prints in the varnish.

You may want to let the varnish cure for a while before you use it. Just what you wanted to hear.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Dan,
This canoe is obviously possessed. Please ship it to me for proper exorcism. I'll try to get it back to you in, say, a year or two... :eyebrows

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Ed Houston

Post by Ed Houston »

I used a small electric heater under the boat to increase dry time and in an attempt to lower the humidity in my garage Houston Tx very humid most all year round, have you tried that?

Ed
Dan.

Post by Dan. »

Yup, I have the heater going now.... the boat is not as sticky today, and is dry in spots. Of course the varnish is now full of fingerprints from me testing it so a good sanding is inorder. I hope the next coat will cure in reasonable time, especially the section where I wiped it off with thinner. :thinking

On another note, what do you guys think of using oil for the outer gunnles?

Both inner and outer are honduran mahogany, inners are epoxied in place and sealed with epoxy with a slightly tacky coat of varnish. Outers are sanded, screwed in place and plugged with maple glued in with gorilla glue.

I want to avoid a sticky varnish problem on the outers. I have a tin of polemerized tung oil that I use on paddles sitting in the basement now.....
Ed Houston

Post by Ed Houston »

Dan

You may want to get another can of varnish frrom your vendor you may just have a bad batch.

Explain the problem to them they may give you an exchange.

Just a thought.

Not sure about the oil thing I use oil on the below decks teak on my sail boat but if it gets splashed with water it leaves spots, I use lemon oil for this. Read the tong oil instructions I think you will find it will advise not for outdoor use.

Good Luck

Ed
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Dan, do a search on "oiling gunwales" and you will find many opposing views. Especially look at the older posts on the matter, lots of interesting input.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Gunwales: Oil = Good! Watco Exterior oil green can if you can find it, otherwise brown can.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Dan, has the varnish dried yet? I can't stand this suspense any longer! :thinking
Dan.

Post by Dan. »

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It hasn't I just finished sanding it off an hour ago. I will wait an hour and varnish again. I am leaving for wabakimi on the 25th. If this coat is not dry by morining and recoated tommorow afternoon I will have to take my royalex (80+lb) boat :embarassed

As it is, the best I can hope for is 2 coats of varnish (on the interior) for this trip.

I am not worried about strap marks on the hull as the outer varnish has been curing quite nicely for well over a week now....

Lets hope this next coat drys

Oh, is there any problem varnish over an 80grit sanding? I don't have the time to take it down to 120
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That is quite strange! Anyway, yes you can varnish over 80 grit but it might not look as nice as 120 grit because you might still see the sanding scratches through the varnish.
Dan.

Post by Dan. »

OK, well the varnish is back on... if this coat is not dry by morning it looks like I am taking a royalex prospector on a solo trip.....
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Let us know how it goes Dan.