Launch Photos! - A new canoe in Michigan

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Launch Photos! - A new canoe in Michigan

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

Well, after several years of "on and off" building (more off than on), my first canoe is completed. I say "first" because I know that there will be another someday. This was the most challenging and rewarding project that I have ever experienced, and this hobby is addictive!

My family, (me, my wife, son-age 11, daughter-age 9) launched the canoe yesterday at Kent Lake ( Kensington Metropark, West of metro Detroit, Michigan) and paddled about seven miles, making sure everyone got a turn paddling or just kicking back amidships. She handles well in the water and feels slippery through the water!
In August, I am taking the canoe to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in Northern Minnesota with my son, as well as my father, brother, and nephew. I can't wait!

Please follow the link to view photos of launch day and the finished canoe.
Link to Jeff's Photos

Construction details:
- The canoe is a slightly modified version of the Keshequa 170 design from Valley Woodworking. It is 17.5 feet long and has a 36 inch beam. I haven't seen the Nomad in person, but I think it is similar, but with less rocker.
- The hull is western red cedar. Many of the strips transition from very light to very dark in color at opposite ends. I kept this pattern as the the hull was stripped so that from bow to stern the color changes from light to dark. No stapled were used.
- The gunwales are ash and the outwales are tapered to the ends. Lots of inwale scuppers!
- The seats are also ash. With so many curves and contours in the canoe hull and trim, I thought that any straight lines would seem out of place. So, I decided to try something other than the typical straight ladder-style seats. I designed the seats so that both transverse members arc inward to middle of the hull. Maybe it was just another excuse to steam bend some wood! The seats were hand-caned according to Gilpatrick's book.
- The yoke and decks are heavily figured bird's eye maple cut from the same rough board. The decks were resawn so that the grain is bookmatched. Since the final deck thickness is only about 1/4 inch thick, I inset the decks into the inwale. The arched "handles" frame out the decks and provide the needed structural support.
- The seats and yoke are attached from the bottom with #10-24 stainless bolts, and they engage stainless threaded inserts embedded in the inwales. No hardware is on the top surface of the gunwales.

I would like to thank my family for all their support, and for their assistance when two hands were just not enough. My wife, Ellen, even encouraged me to bring the unfinished canoe into our living room when it was too cold to work in the garage. She's a keeper!

There were long stretches when I could not work on the canoe because of work schedules or home & family commitments. I knew that if the canoe did not have my full attention that I would not do my best work, so at times I set it aside. However, when I was active in building, the process of planning the next steps joyfully consumed every spare moment!

Thanks also to Bear Mountain for sponsoring the Forum, and to all those in the boat building community who contribute to its success. The passion and workmanship displayed on this Forum is inspiring, and I honestly don't think that I would have had such success without you all.

Jeff
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Holy Cats - Jeff that's a great piece of work! Nice job!
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

You did a super job Jeff, I fixed the link so it works.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Fantastic looking creation! An inspiration for all! What's next?
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Jeff,
BEAUTIFUL WORK! :applause I really like the seats and the yoke is a piece of art!

One question: Will you portage it stern first or is the yoke facing the wrong way? I only ask this as I almost put mine in backwards....

Greg
Last edited by canoeblderinmt on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
KenC

Post by KenC »

Well done, Jeff ... a lot of fine detail ... is that a strip of walnut bisecting the birdseye deck?

My kayak took a couple years to complete as well ... feels good to finally get it wet, doesn't it.
Dark Horse

Post by Dark Horse »

Absolutly Stunning. The attention to detail is incredible!

Jim
JeremyT

Post by JeremyT »

Nice work!!
I'm feeling like more of a hack than usual after seeing such a fine peice of craftmanship.
:eyebrows
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

Beautiful job, Jeff... I was at his home to see the canoe about 6 months ago before it was completely finished. He deserves all the credit he can get as he did a fine, fine job. I am way behind him with my Nomad but I now have the MDF, ash, plans, tools, etc. and will be starting soon on the real construction. I offered to loan him my digital camera to get the photo's on line sooner but he now has his own and did a good job with that too.
Congratulations, Jeff
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

Thanks for all the kind words (and for fixing the photo link, Glen).

I was thinking that something smaller, like a Bobs Special, would probably be the next project. Not for some time, though, or I'll really press my families patience! But, I'll stay online.

Regarding the yoke, it certainly could go either way. This is my "family freighter". I faced the shoulder lobes toward the stern so that whoever is sitting in the middle directly in front of the yoke can lean back comfortably while facing forward.

Jeff
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Jeff,
Good thinking on the yoke. With the scoop-outs you did, it would probably be comfortable to sit on as well.

Again, BEAUTIFUL WORK!

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Rob from Hamilton

Nice Boat!

Post by Rob from Hamilton »

Hi Jeff,
You did a great job on that new boat! It really is beautiful! I love the wood on the decks and yoke, and the curved seats. Really nice design features!
Nice job! :applause
Rob from Hamilton
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Nice!!! Love the yoke and the deck.
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

Jeff,

WOW! What a great looking canoe! You did an outstanding job with everying, but I particularily like the deck and curved seats. Your work is an inspiration.

Dale
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Jeff,

No matter how long it took, it was well worth the wait. That's one of the best uses of wood I've ever seen. Your craftsmanship is among the best. Be proud and enjoy.