Varnish

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Doug Carey

preventing runs/sags in spar varnish

Post by Doug Carey »

I appreciate your comments about thinning the varnish out before applying.
Does it matter what is used as thinner..........I mean do I have to use Varsol.......Turpentine.........Laquer thinner.........or do I need to buy something special?
In your experience, does it help to apply the varnish using a foam roller v:s brushing only?
I do not have access to any spray equipment, so it is a toss up between the two other methods...........either brushing alone, or roller coat and then "dry brush" to remove any roller lap marks.............?
Comments?
thanks,
Doug
PADDLES AWAY!
Nova Scotian

Varnish

Post by Nova Scotian »

Excellent timing on this gentlemen. Last night, after much delay, I started varnishing my Bob's 15'. I was so nervous as I regarded this as my last opportunity to screw this project up. I used Epiphanes with their brush thinner to a 50/50 mix (poured by hand)
I'm working in a shed and it was raining outside, so humidity concerned me.
I started with a foam roller - it produced a lot of bubbles, that brushed out easily. 1/4 way through, I switched to brush only - and it flowed on very well. Today it looks smooth and almost dry to the touch.
No RUNS - sorry Doug.
I'll see how the 2nd and 3rd coats apply. I plan on thinning ~20% and 5% respectively (or something like that)

Stuart
Doug Carey

varnish runs

Post by Doug Carey »

I appreciate the suggestions and also the successful results (Stuart!)
I guess when you are as inexperienced as I am, I rely on other experienced people to guide me.
It is very frustrating when the store selling the varnish does not recommend using the proper thinner to obtain best results.
I am using PETIT brand of spar varnish, so I guess that I need to go and buy a can of PETIT brand of thinner, rather than using varsol or turpentine to thin.
thanks,
Doug
PADDLES AWAY!
Nova Scotian

varnish

Post by Nova Scotian »

Well, naivete is often our greatest assest.
It's my first time attempting this too. I've experienced a good mix of luck and common sense though. Just got it from the 2nd coat - I'll see in the AM.

I live in an area rich in boatbuilding history. And I grew up between 2 pretty old yacht squadrons (one has a prison from the Napoleonic War used for storage) which means there are many suppliers for anything seafaring close by.
Lots of wood suppliers, f'glass, and chandlers - you name it.
I'm about 1 1 /4 hrs from Pictou, Nova Scotia where on July 1 & 2 the Maritime Kite & Kayak Festival is happening - Glen is promoting it.

I bought varnish from The Binnacle http://ca.binnacle.com/ - they'll sell on-line in case any other want to order.

Good luck!

Stuart