Chestnut Prospector stripping - 1st timer

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
MACK

Chestnut Prospector stripping - 1st timer

Post by MACK »

Hi, I'm getting ready to strip my first canoe, the Chestnut Prospector, and I'm looking for some advice. Should I follow the sheer line with my first strip or should I follow a straighter line and fill in with short planks at the bow ans stern. I have done a lot of searching and have seen it done both ways. What would you guys recomend for a novice first timer?
Thanks for the input,
Mike
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Mack,
Welcome to the brotherhood! I haven't built a Prospector (yet), but from the drawings it looks pretty similar to my G'White in terms of the sheer line. I followed the sheer with my strips and didn't have any problems in the transition zone coming around the bilge. Many of the builders on this site run the first strip parallel and add strips to the ends. Some of them think following the sheer makes the canoe look like a banana. I think it really boils down to a choice of style and which appeals to your artistic eye.

Best of luck and post us pictures as you go, OK?

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Mack,

Welcome. I agonized over that first strip on my Prospector for what seemed like days. I was afraid to start off on the wrong strip so to speak. I finally went with gravity. I attached the first strip at the center mold and let it take a fair curve and went from there. I definately would not follow the sheer as it is quite pronounced on this boat, even more than Greg mentioned comparing to his design. On a longer boat like Greg's it is less noticable.

It is your canoe. You are in charge, and whatever way you go, it is going to be fantastic!
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
sedges

not on sheer

Post by sedges »

Follow the sheer marks out to mold #2 and then let run out straight. Make sure the strip is at the same elevation off the strongback at both stems. This makes the strips run pretty comfortably at the turn of the bilge into the stem. Following the sheer with the first strip makes for some awfully tortured, twisted strip later on.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/s ... pector.jpg