epoxy question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Stargzr57

epoxy question

Post by Stargzr57 »

Hello all!
I am far from epoxying my canoe as I am just trying to get all my ducks in a row here collecting information and materials etc.
Anyway I was wondering if anyone has used epoxy from www.raka.com I guess its a one man business he makes his own epoxies and he will also help you with your needs over the phone also. His epoxies are ALOT cheeper I was wondering if it would do as good a job say as the west system. Has anyone used it before??I dont want to cheep out on an important part of the build but if i can save some money that would be a good thing :big grin

Thanks to all who respond! Steve W.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I just helped a friend glass a canoe using Raka epoxy.
He bought the 350 non blushing hardener.
It has a shorter pot life than the System Three Clear coat that I've been using, but it worked out great! We were able to get all the fill coats on, in one day!
The 6oz x 60in. cloth was fine, but the 6oz x 38(I believe) that we used to double layer the bottom, was creased. This did'nt come out and had to be sanded down.
Other than that, I'll probably by my next epoxy from him!
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

Many people use it, particularly after the epoxy test:
http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Epoxtest.htm
chose it as a top performer.
Alan
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

Raka indeed is mentioned a lot of times on kayak/canoe forums. It 's a pity it isn't available over here in Europe. I have used West System 105 resin with 207 hardener on my first canoe, but I don 't feel it rectifies the high price of it. I 'am using a local epoxy brand since that and it works just as fine. Whatever you choose, make sure it is ment for marine application, and do a test on a scrap piece first !!

Erik, Belgium.
Ross Leidy

Post by Ross Leidy »

I've used it on my last 4 or 5 kayaks and have been very pleased with it. I use the 127 resin with the 350 slow/no-blush epoxy (I'm a slow worker, so that's perfect for me).

Ross
Fish

Sitka Spruce

Post by Fish »

I have an epoxy question.

Which ones will turn sitka spruce green?

I read it in Canoecraft and don't want to make that mistake.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. Poe
jpauger

epoxy turning green

Post by jpauger »

In Ted's book, I remember reading something about the epoxy turning green when used with certain fibreglass cloth coated with a stuff not compatible with the epoxy but nothing about sitka spruce turning green.
:thinking
Jean-Pierre
Pete in the Deep South

Post by Pete in the Deep South »

I purchase their 3 gallon kit....I think it's a good product. Please note that they ship their glasscloth folded, but that has never caused me any trouble.
KG4YOL
Fish

Post by Fish »

Hmmm, page 68 "Finally, the epoxy should cure with good clarity, adding no objectionabletint to the wood. One brand was fine over dark planking but turned Sitka spruce and ugly greenish-yellow."

that is the epoxy that I don't want! :wink anyone know which one tht is?

I wonder what Sitka spruce would look like with Lee Valley CAbinetmaker's Glue 202. the dark stuff. Might be neat.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. Poe
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Note: Raka will ship glass rolled if you insist on it but they might charge extra.

I once had a case of "greenies" when wetting out 2 layers of 6oz cloth at the same time. I was using a local epoxy (Citadel) and once cured it was perfectly clear.

I have used both Citadel and West 105/207 on construction grade spruce without discoloration.

I think the lesson to learn from Ted's green experience is to test all your products on a test panel before committing them to your boat so you don't have any bad surprises.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Steve,
I have completed two strip canoes using Raka epoxy and glass. I am very satisfied with both, and probably will not use anything else. Why pay almost double? They are very helpfull over the phone, your stuff arrives well packed, they will roll your glass if you ask for it. The mix is thin, so it goes on easy and penetrates double layers pretty easily with little outgassing. It is clear, and strong. I have had it cure in very cold temps (well below 50F), though it took a week to harden completely. It didn't go on so well with a roller, so I went back to using a squeegee. I can't recommend it enough,

OH...IMHO :laughing

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."