My Ranger 15'

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
ealger

My Ranger 15'

Post by ealger »

Finally finished in 13 months.
Weight, 42 pounds.
Strips WRC .270" with 5/16 r cove and bead.
6 oz fiberglass with 3 coats of MAS epoxy out side and single wetout coat inside. Hull was pre-sealed inside and out.
Seats and thwart are Cherry.
Deck, Spanish Cedar.
Inwales, Mahogany.
Outwales, Ash.

HMG Gloss varnish outside, HMG Matt inside.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a237/ealger/Ranger15/

Ed...
Last edited by ealger on Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Alger
Peter Kotowych

Ranger

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Beautiful job, Ed.

You must be very satisfied with all your efforts.

Good job on the weight, too.

Pete :applause
I love wood!
SAKevin

Post by SAKevin »

That is a great photolog and a beautiful canoe.

Do you by any chance have any photos showing the glue application between the strips? I am building my first stripper and my squeezeout makes it look like the wood is oozing sap. However, I am afraid to apply too little glue.

Nice job!
ealger

Glueing

Post by ealger »

Kevin, ya know, I don't have a single picture of my glue application. I'll make up a couple of test strips tommorow and post the pictures. Perhaps someone could explain what I'm doing wrong as I can get an image to display in this page as evidenced above?

I use a small 4 ounce plastic squeeze bottle I bought at the local hobby store. It has a small tip and lays down about a 1/16" glue bead. 4 ozs is enough for 6 or 8 strips. Glen uses a plastic squeeze bottle used for hair dyeing. It takes a little practice to get just he right amount of glue. When the strip is layed on and pressure applied, a very slight amount should squeeze out along the entire length, (in theory!).

Also, resist the temptation to wipe off the excess glue right away. Doing so just forces it into the soft cedar and makes a mess. Wait a few minutes until it sets up, then scrape it off with a Pro-Prep. You'll save yourself a lot of sanding and scraping down the line.

I build bead side up and lay the strip in a strip holder along side the strongback cove up while running a small bead down the strip. Some like to build cove up but applying the glue as the bilge is turned is interesting. :eyebrows
Ed...
Ed Alger
Pete in the Deep South

Post by Pete in the Deep South »

Hi Ed!

Great looking canoe.:applause

I will be posting a few pic and comments of my Huron project soon. I'm in the varnishing stage right now. I like to try new procedures, woods, and designs. However, I think that a beginner would do well to stay with the CanoeCraft directions starting out.

Best regards,

Pete

PS
my photo album is not as impressive as yours...thanks for sharing.
KG4YOL
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Looks great! I like the whole boat, but the organic look of the seats is very cool. Nice and light also.

Is there any reason why you changed stripping patterns on the football? It looks like a straight edge cut near the stems and then switched to alternating strips. Which method did you like best?
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Ed,

Fantastic job! You also did an excellent job of documenting your building process. Your photo's are a great asset to the builders on this board.

I hope you enjoy using your canoe as much as you did building it.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
ealger

Strip Pattern

Post by ealger »

Thanks Bryan for the comments. I like to use the "Herringbone" pattern because I think it gives a little more rigidity and also because I like the look. The problem with the herringbone is that I find it difficult to effect unless the area is quite flat. The traverse from the stem is too steep to allow the strips to cross over. Some say it can be done but I've not learned how.

Given a choice, I'd do herringbone all the way but it is a labor of love because the end has to be "grooved" to fit the opposing strip.
Ed...
Ed Alger
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

That's a beautiful canoe, and a very useful and detailed sequence of photos showing how it was done.
Alan
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

Fantastic looking job!!! You should be proud :applause
Ronmc1954
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Ed, that is one lovely Ranger and a very good photo report of the building process.

To post an image you must first be viewing the image you wish to post. Then right click and click on "properties", then highlight the "Address" (URL) select "copy" and click on "ok". The image is now ready to post.

In your posted message you click on the box at the top marked "IMG" then you right click and click on "paste" Image then you can either click on "Close Tags" or on "Img*".

Click on "Preview" to see if the image is showing, if not you must correct something. If the photo is there and you have completed the text, click on "Submit".
ealger

Glueing

Post by ealger »

For SAKevin, see Building Techniques, "Glueing Technique".

Glen, thanks for the help with posting images. I'll try again.
Ed...
Ed Alger
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Very Nice! :applause
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

Ed,

Your Ranger will remain a great example of the excellent craftmanship from builders on this forum. You paid great attention to detail and design. In particular I like the look of the football area, the stripping patter and the seat design. Your work is an inspiration; thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Dale
ealger

Ranger

Post by ealger »

Thanks Dale, and others, for your kind comments. It was a lot of fun.
My 45 years as a mechanical engineer and computer programmer didn't help to reduce the 400 hours it took to put the Ranger together. :big grin
I think what all my experience did was make me too fussy!
Ed...
Ed Alger