Started on the deck!! -Wet-out and 1 fill coat-- Pics added

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
RonMc1954

Started on the deck!! -Wet-out and 1 fill coat-- Pics added

Post by RonMc1954 »

Here's a few pictures of the progress I have made on the deck. The design I have choosen is going to take a while. It's hard to see but there is a walnut pin strip in between the two colors of wood.
Last edited by RonMc1954 on Fri May 04, 2012 9:45 am, edited 7 times in total.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Looking good Ron, keep up the good work.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Looks good.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Ron,
I really like the blue strip accents. How did you come up with the design, length and placement of each strip? It adds a Baroque feel to the project. :wink

Seriously, looks like another beautiful job. I'm looking forward to seeing how the design comes together. I'm going to be tackling a couple of Yaks this winter and am having fits trying to settle on accents and a design. I enjoy seeing what you pros do for inspiration.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

Thanks guys for the encouragment. Greg thanks for the "PRO" comment, not sure I would call myself a pro, but thanks. The people here are a big help! I know what you mean about choosing accents and design, other builder's and their boats give me insperation and I try to put my own touch into it. I try not to copy someone else's design, they give me ideas on what I want to do. I am not that artistic so seeing something in my minds eye is hard for me. In this case the boat is for my wife so she broused the internet and found this design. I was not able to find the owner of the boat she liked, so I hope it turns out like we want.
I to am waiting to see how it comes together :frightened
Thanks again
Ron

PS Oh Ya the blue strip is really high tech I don't think I can explain it :laughing
RonMc1954

A few more pictures

Post by RonMc1954 »

Here's the latest from my shop. As you can see I have used a long strip of wood to help lay out the next cut. When I do this I measure from center on each station to the cut line. I then transfer it to the other side. So hopefully one half will match the other. :wink
I have come up with an accent strip that goes on next, it will follow the same curves.
It's been dropping below freezing these last couple of days, AAHH I'm not ready for that!
I will keep the forum updated.
Well I better go start the wood stove in the shop so the glue will dry not freeze :wink
Ron
Last edited by RonMc1954 on Fri May 04, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Looking better and better Ron. What tool(s) did you use to cut the curved line?
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

Thanks Glen, I used a vari-speed jigsaw running very slow between the stations. But finished the cuts on the stations with a Japanese pull saw. Both bow and stern had to be done with the pull saw, not enough clearence for the blade. I did have to go back and rasp some of the jigsaw cuts but not very many. I was reluctant about using the jigsaw but I was REAL careful.
I did get the accent strip on yesterday but I ended up with the stomach flu, I have not left the house all day :crying I really wanted to get some work done today. Sh_t happens, tommorrows another day.
northwoods

Post by northwoods »

Ron: You've given me a good idea. javascript:emoticon(':thinking') I'm just starting to strip my deck. In my curved sections I had just planned to install each strip to the shape of the curve which means alot of re-beading, re-coving and fitting. I guess it would be simpler to strip as you have done, lay out the curve and cut it. It looks great. It seems a good way to use those shorter strips, too. Any things I should be wary of other than what you've mentioned in your posts? How does your fitting work when you start the next color? Any disadvantages you see to this method? Thanks. Jan
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

Thanks Jan, I'm pretty sure this method has been around awhile. Between each color I have installed a walnut "pinstrip" it's about an 1/8 inch thick. It makes a pretty smooth edge for the next color. It also gives you a chance to smooth the edge you just cut. I used masking tape to glue the pinstrip on. The toughest part for me was when I changed from redwood to pine the very first pine strip is laid in so the strip aligns with the redwood strip., so the strip joints aligns as if the same strip goes the full length as if you did not change colors at all. I hope I said that in a way so you understand what I mean.
I laid the first pine strip so it over lapped on each end and clamped it with a spring clamp. Then just reached underneath and traced the shape. I then cut it on a bandsaw and then sanded it to fit and align. You also want to cosider the location ( in my case the first pine stip) to make sure your saw line leaves you with enough of a strip to work with when you start the next color.
Disadvanages; the first half is going pretty easy I fear the other side. I will have to match to the center line, that will slow things down. I know so people do both sides together. Which is better??????????
Any other questions I will help all I can.
Ron Mc
northwoods

Post by northwoods »

Ron: What jig saw blade type did you use? Any problems with accidentially knocking off those fragile cove areas while using power? How did your seams turn out? Thanks for your help and hope your feeling better soon. Jan
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

Jan I used a fine tooth metal cutting blade. I only used the jig saw between the stations, I did not want to risk any heavy cutting or something that might cause the jig saw to jump. Running the jig saw slow, keeping pressure light and taking my time I had NO splintering. I did get in the shop this morning and started the next section of redwood, I will go down and take a picture later, some closeups.
Seams are turning out good, it's all a matter of being pacient and getting the fit right. One tool I find best for that is a bench top disk sander. I think mine is a 8" you could do the same with a sanding wheel for a table saw.
Ron
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

Just a few more with a few closeups.

Jan these are for you
Last edited by RonMc1954 on Fri May 04, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

Ron, for your alternating light/dark pattern did you glue those pieces on while stripping? Or did you create a composite board or strip first?

thanks
Doug
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

Doug, the accent originally was just going to be a couple of narrow strips, but I went with this alternating color strip and built it in place. Just held each piece in place with tape while the glue dried.
Ron