Redbird....or not?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Shea

Redbird....or not?

Post by Shea »

Hello. I Have plans for a freedom 15. Deciding against it though. I fell in love with the design of the redbird. The only thing that is in my question is the length of it. It will be for my dad and I for 3-5 day camping trips. I weigh 165, my dad.........220 :laughing Anyways If anyone has experience with one, please let me know. I would like to pick your brain about it. Thanks so much for your help.
Shea
Thanks
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Shea, I copied your post into the Builders' Forum since it wasn't getting any response.
geordie

Post by geordie »

A Redbird is a matter of the heart. On paper and in theory there are " better" boats, but read through similar topics and you will see that the Bird men swear by their crafts. Hell about a year back we were going to rename this the Redbird forum. If this will be used by you and your old man on a regular basis, I would go for a larger canoe anyway. Now, punch all the numbers into a computer and it will spit out a Freedom 17. Use you heart and you will be building a Bird in no time.
" Mine is about 2 weeks from getting wet. Watch this space.
Yesterday I paddled
Today I’m sore
tom in caledonia

Post by tom in caledonia »

I finished my Redbird this year and used it for the first time in early August. I was totally pleased with the way it handled. It was so sweet to paddle (me in the back ((220 lbs)) and my daughter and my labrador retriever in the front ((200 lbs))) and fast. With packs it would be just about perfect for a 3 to 7 day trip. The length is fine, not too long for that type of trip. I too love the appearance of this design. Having said that, my next canoe will likely be a Freedom 17 or perhaps a Prospector 16. Still haven't decided. I do know that I still really, really like my Redbird. I posted pictures in the message in this forum titled "One more Redbird" on page three I believe.
bansidthe

Post by bansidthe »

We have had a redbird for the last 8 years. It is an excellent canoe for week long tripping through Killarney. It is fast , stable and actually works better when loaded with packs and food for two. It is a beautiful design as well.