Stripping the football, I'm a bit off on one end.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Adamv

Stripping the football, I'm a bit off on one end.

Post by Adamv »

I'm on the second half of the football on my Bob's Special. I've fit in about three strips so far. One one end, they match up perfectly with the corresponding ones for the other side of the canoe, but on the other, they are extending about 5/8" too far. (See the photo). Are there any tricks to getting them to match up, or do I just need to live with this?
Last edited by Adamv on Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who travels not by water knows not the fear of God --- 17th Century Sailor
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

If you are trying to make strips one side match the other, how about adding a thin strip that will blend with the previous strip in order to make up the difference? Looks to me like this might be another reason to go for the random method rather than trying to get things to line up perfectly.
Good luck,
Bryan
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

Hi Adamv, what your expiriencing is not uncommon. I had to use about 3 cheater strips on my boat. To make the cheater strip start with the width of amount you need to get your joints to line up again. The taper that piece to nothing, making it as long as possible. Longer the better, glue it in and lay your next strip in. The longer the cheater strip the easier to lay the next strip in without a gap where the taper ends. Degree of difficultly will depend on you are cove up or down. It is easier to make the bead than cove.
You are left with what looks like a wide strip, hardly noticable if seams a good.
Ronmc
Adamv

Post by Adamv »

Thanks fellows. Two questions about the cheater strip. First, you say to make the strip as long as possible. How long are we talking (ballbark)? 1 foot? 2 feet? 5 feet? Second, do I put a bead and cove on the strip? Or, can I cheat and use a currently routered strip and shave off the cove on one side (I'm planking cove side up) and then shave off the corresponding bead on the next strip I put in?

Thanks again for your help.
Adam
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

Adam, the length of the cheater strip needs to be long enough to keep the taper "gentle". It kind of depends on the width or correction your trying to make, the wider the strip the longer the taper. I am striping with 5/8 wide strips I had to correct 3/8, I think my cheater was about 3 feet long. Since you are stripping cove side up cut the bead off of the taper. Then I just hand made a new bead with a plane and sanding disc. You will see the need for length when you fit you next strip. Where the taper ends you will see a small gap, so the longer or more gentle the taper the smaller the gap.
If I understand you correctly, cove side up, leave the cove and make a bead much easier.

Good luck
Ron McElroy
ealger

Strip Alignment

Post by ealger »

Adam, take heart and take your time and you'll surmount this challenge.

For others following this thread, the mis-alignment which Adam has experienced can occur when opposing strips are cut to meet outside the centerline of the hull. It can start as stripping passes the top of the stem area and often very subtle with the offset growing as stripping progresses up the football.

This is one reason why I like to strip both sides of the hull at the same time. I know, I know, I'm going to get some flak on this but if caught early, it's easier to correct.
Ed...
Ed Alger
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

Adam, just a quick note, I was going through your album I noticed you had some plants in your shop area. Nice touch!!! I should do that :laughing
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

Had the same thing on my Bob's special. I only needed to make one cheater strip, about a foot long and after completing the stripping I really have to look to find it again. In hindsight, I should have made it longer, but it did the job.

Gee whiz, when I ran into this problem I hadn't read anything about cheater strips before, so I thought my idea was original! What a let-down to read here a few weeks later about "cheater strips" :laughing

Kerry

(working at getting my garage insulated so I can get my Bob's glassed!)
Ericthenorse

Post by Ericthenorse »

I think the name should be changed to something like "Ingenious Strips" , or something similar.....
ealger

Offset strips

Post by ealger »

Adam, it may be just a perspective thing, but it looks like your problems started in picture 54. The strips just below the clamp appear to be offset.
Ed...
Ed Alger
Adamv

Post by Adamv »

First of all. I just wanted to express my gratitude to everybody for the help. As I'm sure many can attest, building a canoe for the first time with nothing more than a book (notwithstanding that it is a very good book --- CanoeCraft) as a guide can be a wee bit intimidating. It is very comforting to know that this resource exists to overcome the stumbling blocks that come up. So again, thank you all.

Second, Ron, thanks for the tip to hand make the bead on the "Ingenius strip". That seems to be the easiest way to go. And by the way, I saw the photos of your set-up and you're right, you do need a few plants.

Third, Kerry, sorry to be let down that your idea was original. Although, it was original for you when you came up with it. I couldn't even do that!

Fourth, Ed, you're right, the problem did begin by picture 54. I noticed that one side (the left in that photo) was a bit low. I guess I live and learn. Should have dealt with it then. My bad. :sad

Muchos gratias to all again.
Adam
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Adam,
You're probably already down the road on this, but here are my pics of making "Ingenious Strips":

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/c ... t/BooBoos/

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Adamv

Post by Adamv »

Just an update. I succeeded in making and installing the "ingenius strip". It turned out to be about 3-1/2' long and about 3/8" at its widest. It was basically just a long sliver. I preserved the cove side of previously milled strip, and made the new bead by hand sanding. It actually only took a few minutes. The strips in the football are lining up perfectly now. Thanks again to one and all for your interest and your help.

Adam :smile
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

That's GREAT to hear Adam. Keep on srtipping!!!!
:applause

Ron