Cypruss for canoes

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
rtowsley

Cypruss for canoes

Post by rtowsley »

Has anyone used cypruss for building a canoe? How is it compared with ceder for weight?
cecbell

Post by cecbell »

I used some cypress under the side decks of my sailing canoe to stiffen them for sitting on. These were pieces about 7' long by 3/4" wide and 1/2" thick. I ended up with cypress because the local woodworkers' shop had it on sale and it was virtually knot free. The boards they had in stock varied quite a bit in weight but I was able to pick out a couple that were the lightest of the bunch. I don't know if the difference was due to moisture content or what, but the ones I got were very light--at least as light as the white cedar strips I used for planking.

This was my first experience with cypress and it struck me as being very similar to white cedar (NWC) except for its lack of color and figure. I didn't do any planing with it so I don't know how it responds to sharp tools. I also don't know if the boards I bought were typical since there seemed to be quite a variation in the stock I saw.
Charles Campbell
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

Cypress is about 35% heavier than western red cedar, so the canoe could be up to 10lbs heavier in the end. You might be able to use 3/16" strips instead of 1/4" and reduce most of that weight.

I have used cypress to make paddles and I like the way it works.
cecbell

Post by cecbell »

Check this reference.
http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/TechSheets/co ... twood.html

According to this, cypress is about half again as heavy as northern white cedar so the boards I was able to pick up were not typical of the weight.
Charles Campbell
rtowsley

Post by rtowsley »

Thanks for your input. I am interested in building either a RobRoy or Wee Lassie and as lite as possibly so I think that I will stick with Northern White Ceder. Maybe I'll consider Cypress for and accent strip or two. Thanks again.
Charles G. Clark, Jr.

Post by Charles G. Clark, Jr. »

I built a Great Auk using cypress a couple years ago. I liked the color of the wood. It was a bit heavier than WRC. I thought that it also splintered much more than WRC. For that reason alone, I would not use it again. It was a pain, figuratively and literally, to use.

The wood sanded fine and stripped well.

If you do use cypress, be mindful of the splinters.
Pete in the Deep South

Post by Pete in the Deep South »

I just finished building a Huron using cypress....I think it's a great wood to use for strippers. Being in the "Sunny South" I can find it locally. Rough sawed the price is less than $2.00 BF.
I made no effort to keep weight down and my Huron only weighted about 2 pounds heavier than the Bob Special I made using Juniper. The Huron weighted in at 55 pounds.

See post "Building the Huron" for link to pic of Huron made of cypress.
KG4YOL