Redbird Seat Height

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Tim

Redbird Seat Height

Post by Tim »

I am to the point of mounting my seats on my Redbird. I am looking for anyone who can tell me what there experience has been on the position of the seats in relationship to the gunnels. :thinking
Rick

Post by Rick »

Are you going to be paddling kneeling Canadian-style or sitting? Kneeling paddlers should have the seats installed with enough room underneath so that feet can get under there comfortably. Safety is another issue, if the feet become jammed under a too-low seat when one needs to exit quickly. My feet (size 12) need about 11.5 inches, and that might be a good seat height to start with, if other paddlers are going to be using the canoe.

Sitting paddlers can be seated lower for more stability, and if the seats are too high at eleven inches they can be lowered with longer bolts and drops. Generally, sitting paddlers need more stability than those kneeling and installing the seats lower down will help.

Paddling style is another thing that could affect seat height... paddling with bent shafts might mean that sitting paddlers can be seated lower down with comfort, while those using straight shafts would be more comfortable higher up.

Probably best to try various heights if there's any doubt, to find the most suitable arrangement. Adjusting seat height shouldn't be a problem in canoes, it's done all the time to create a better "fit" for any individual paddler... enjoy the build and the paddling!
tom in caledonia

Post by tom in caledonia »

I added an extra strip to raise the gunnels of my Redbird and paddle in a sitting position. I found that hanging the seats about 8.5" from the bottom of the canoe gave me a comfortable and stable position to paddle from.
thechrisperkins

Post by thechrisperkins »

I would agree with the 8.5 inch seating height... especially if you are new to canoeing. I built my Redbird at plans height of 9" and it was "sporty" for the first few hours. Nothing that isn't easily accustomed to, but at first is a little aggressive for a novice paddler.

I elected to mount my fittings to the sidewall instead of hanging from the gunwale. I am perfectly satisfied with the results. Some accurate measurements and leveling are required...

Realize that a single paddler in the "aft" postition is going to raise the bow, but the Redbird will easily track a straight line. All that is required is to paddle on the side you are leaning into.

Else; if paddling solo (per plans) paddle from the front seat going towards the stearn for a more "balanced" canoe. I, personally am not a fan of this, as it is not as manuverable.

-Chris
Air and Water, we need both to survive. The medium is irrelevant, movement is life.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the imput. I think I will put my seat height at 9", which will make about a 3" spacer to get to that point.

I will post some pictures when its done, hopefully soon.