new launch of a Prospector

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Tom Dissington

new launch of a Prospector

Post by Tom Dissington »

Well, I finally finished. After 10 months in a cramped shop, I have my first, and most likely my only, boat. I had a wonderful time and enjoyed every minute of watching her come to life. I haven’t floated her yet but will this weekend. Her name is The Whisper, which I think was a good choice. I learned a lot from the process and from reading countless posts on here, which was invaluable. Thanks to all for letting me learn vicariously through you. Hopefully the link below will work and you’ll be able to see her. I only hope it is acceptable in the eyes of so many wonderful builders. http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s59/ ... widget.pbw
Last edited by Tom Dissington on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Tom,

Very nice :applause I especially like the decks. They are a carrying thwart and a deck all in one piece. Nice touch.

Enjoy
ealger

Prospector 16

Post by ealger »

Way to go Tom on the stapleless construction. Very nice. I like the scuppers in the contrasting woods.
I'd be curious to know how much she weighs.
Ed...
:applause
Ed Alger
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Tom,
Very nice work: a very clean looking boat :applause

My next canoe is the Prospector also, if I can ever get the shop set up and get started. I am curious about your painter rings. Did you hide the hold downs under your stem, and are the screws near them going thru the ring holder adn into the inner stem? It's a nice detail.

I really hope you enjoy The Whisper for many years to come. Be sure to go to the Off Topic discussion thread and enter your boats name!

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Tom Dissington

Post by Tom Dissington »

Thanks for the compliments. She weighs around 60-65 lbs. but I'll weigh her for certain this weekend. I managed to cut down the weight on the decks, scuppers and trim so that helps. The stems are laminated ash and walnut, the decks are walnut and the seats, thwart and chair back are cherry. I had the seat back custom made by http://www.edscanoe.com and they did a great job. The brass stem bands are actually cut and drilled into a concave semi-circle at the painter ring end. I cleaned up the ends on the sanding wheel. That way the ends of the painter ring mate with the ends of the band tightly making a smooth transition. The rings are drilled all the way through into the inner stem. Brass isn't very strong and they are used for tie downs for transporting so I needed all the strength I could get.
andy

Post by andy »

Great looking boat! Nice work!!!!! :applause
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Very nice job Tom!

As a Prospector builder and paddler, I feel your excitement. You will really enjoy "The Whisper" for a long time to come.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

very nice wood color, nice canoen hope you enjoy paddling it (I bet you will !!)
Erik, Belgium
Gunnelman

Post by Gunnelman »

Well done Tom ! :applause
Looks awsome. Cheers.
If only we could all Paddle to our Work !
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Enjoy the new canoe! I especially like the unique & creative decks.
Cheers,
Bryan
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Good job Tom!