prospector station 7

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
andy

prospector station 7

Post by andy »

I have mounted my molds on the strong back for my 16' prospector. All looks good, everything centered up and faired nicely when using a test plank. Everything that is except station 7. I think I may be interpreting the plans wrong.
I subtracted 1/4 inch from each centerline from the plans (I am using 1/2 inch mdf for the stem molds) but when I mounted them on the stem mold they are a bit shorter than the stem mold height at that station. Also, they creat a bit of a concave curve at that point. This would make a pretty sharp knife edge at the bow and stern. I have compared my molds to some of the other pics I have seen on this site. Mine just don't seem to add up.
If I am reading the plans correctly, the center line of station 7 on the bearmountain plans is the dashed line, not the solid line of the other stations. Is this correct or is the centerline on the plans still the solid line? Re-cutting and mounting a new mold now will be easy. It will be impossible soon.
Any suggestions?
http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/andylivingston/
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If I am reading the plans correctly, the center line of station 7 on the bearmountain plans is the dashed line, not the solid line of the other stations. Is this correct or is the centerline on the plans still the solid line? Re-cutting and mounting a new mold now will be easy. It will be impossible soon.
Any suggestions?
The dashed line represents the final dimension of station 7 if your stem mold material is the same thickness as the one used by the author. You should rely on the solid centerline then deduct half your stem mold thickness to obtain your true station 7 dimensions.
ealger

Prospector station 7

Post by ealger »

Andy, Glen is correct regarding the offset of station 7 mold. If you read through the forums, you'll find that the concave strip fairing is a puzzle. I noticed on mine that the position of station 7 in the horizontal is critical. Station 7, set too far towards mold 6, increases the bow in. Also pay attention to the profile of mold 7 in that it is trimmed to the plan profile.

Also note that the edge of the stem mold, contacting mold 6, must be adjusted for the thickness of you mold material (while paying attention to how you set your mold reference edge!). If not, then the position of mold 7 can produce what you are seeing.
Ed...
Ed Alger
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Andy,

You are correct about the concave bit. The Prospector has a little "cheek" to it at the bow and stern and it is slightly concave at that part of the hull.

Ed and Glen have given you great advice also! Keep asking questions and you'll do fine.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/