Install Inwales

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Danny Turner

Install Inwales

Post by Danny Turner »

My Abenaki canoe is 16ft end to end. Taking the curvature of the hull and the upsweep at either end into consideration, the inwales are 16ft 2.5in.
So without steaming the inwales has anyone any advice as to how I can possibly "BEND" the inwales into place on the sheerline of my canoe?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Danny
Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Well Danny, depending on the wood you are using and the amount of upturn, you may not have any choice but to steam the inwales if you want to bend them to shape witout risking breakage.

In Canoecraft on page 166 Ted shows the inwale installation procedure that I normally use with good results.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Steaming them isn't a big challenge. It's really pretty straight forward. I'd much rather steam and be safe than find myself looking for new material or repairing a break.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
ealger

Bending inwales

Post by ealger »

Danny, on my Abenaki I used Mahogany for the inwales. I tapered the last 30" of the inwales from the 3/4" at 30" to 1/16" at the stem end.

If you are using Ash for the inwales and are not planning on a taper, then you'll have to steam the inwales, no doubt.

To help hold up the ends of the inwale while clamping and screwing etc, I attached some helper blocks near the stem. See my pictures.
Whether steamed or not, you'll want to fit the inwale dry, drill the pilot holes for some screws and cut the inwale to length before you apply epoxy.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a237/ ... %20Helper/

Ed...
Ed Alger
Danny Turner

Inwale Instilation

Post by Danny Turner »

Thanks all of you. Well the wood I am using for the gunwales is ash.Ed, I like the little touch with the pieces ofwood used to support the inwales near the stems.Think I`ll use this method too. I`m a bit daunted at the thought of steam bending.I`ll have to find a17` tube to use as a steam chamber.
But I have tapered the inwales at 32" from the stems, from 3/4" to 3/8" which means that when the two inwales come together at the inner stems they will come to a sharp /\.
Again thanks.And I have studied page 166 of Canoe Craft. Gives me some options.
Danny
Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Danny, when I steam bend inwales or outwales I use a 4 foot steam box and stuff a rag in the opening where the wood protrudes. It works for me. After all, you don't have to steam the entire length just to bend a few feet at each end. Just do them one end at a time. Steam bend to shape and allow to dry. Then do the other end. It's a longer process but it gets the job done. You could also make a few jigs with the sheerline curvature and bend the pieces on those after steaming.
Danny Turner

Inwales Instilation

Post by Danny Turner »

Glen, you`r a gem. Ofcourse this method makes so much sense. I`ll do this. Thank you.
Danny
Danny Turner

Inwale instilation

Post by Danny Turner »

Ed, have you any photos of your Abenaki. Is it finished and how does it handle in respect to other canoes you may have paddled before the Abenaki.
Danny
ealger

Inwales

Post by ealger »

Danny, I put some pictures of my Abenaki up for viewing.
http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a237/ealger/Abenaki/

I paddled a 16' Redwood Laker for years before building the Abenaki. Although the canoe is beautiful in the water, I wasn't impressed with the stability. It threw me into the lake twice before I finally set the first paddle!

I wish I would have added 1 more strip to the shear line to give it more freeboard.

I think the Bear Mountain designs, like the Prospector and Ranger are superior but I'm not an expert paddler either.
Ed...
Ed Alger