Cottage Cruiser - non-slip, stability, buyer

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
clicksys

Cottage Cruiser - non-slip, stability, buyer

Post by clicksys »

Hello everyone,

I built a Cottage Cruiser last year. Had previously built a CLC 16LT s&g kayak. Have subsequently built an Outer Island strip kayak. The CC was my introduction to stripbuilt. I'd say it came out nicely, and is a solid, decent-looking canoe. It feels a lot less stable (i.e. more "tippy") than old Grummans from my youth, AND, I've become a more advanced and committed kayaker. IOTW, I don't want to paddle a canoe! Here are my issues:

1. I want to sell this boat. Has anyone had success selling a stripper? Advice?

2. Is there any way to make it more stable? I assume that it is a function of the design and the beam, and is not changeable.

3. I spaced out and put a second fill coat of epoxy inside, thus losing the nice grip of the weave. Its finished with Captains varnish (gloss). What would be the best way to add some grip to the inside floor surface? I've thought about another cloth layer, or a matte varnish, or adding sand to the varnish, etc.

Thank you,
Robert Shapiro
Burlington, VT
Pete in the Deep South

Post by Pete in the Deep South »

All of the CanoeCraft designs are proven and reliable. Experienced paddlers would prefer the narrow beam I would think.

Sell it as-is. I would not worry about the bottom surface. How many people walk around in their canoes or even stand up in their canoe ?

Price? I tell people that they are getting a deal at $100/ linear foot if the canoe is sound and looks good. Most "strippers" sell for much more if new. :thinking
KG4YOL
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

As Pete said, attempt to sell it as-is. Otherwise, you could increase the initial stability by lowering the seats about 1" if possible. to make the inner hull non-slip you could just apply a coat of varnish with some sand in it. This sand is normally sold in paint stores in a little shaker container. I have heard that some builders prefer to sprinkle in a bit of sugar which will dissolve and leave a "pitted" surface thus increasing traction without obtaining a "sandpaper" texture which can be very hard on the knees. The painters sand is quite coarse and would require an extra coat of varnish over it to reduce the abrasive properties. I have only used it once and that was in kayak. I have never used it in a canoe because, as I said, it would be too hard on the knees. I would leave that decision up to the new owner.
clicksys

Cottage Cruiser - non-slip, stability, buyer (2)

Post by clicksys »

Glen Smith wrote:As Pete said, attempt to sell it as-is. Otherwise, you could increase the initial stability by lowering the seats about 1" if possible. to make the inner hull non-slip you could just apply a coat of varnish with some sand in it. This sand is normally sold in paint stores in a little shaker container. I have heard that some builders prefer to sprinkle in a bit of sugar which will dissolve and leave a "pitted" surface thus increasing traction without obtaining a "sandpaper" texture which can be very hard on the knees. The painters sand is quite coarse and would require an extra coat of varnish over it to reduce the abrasive properties. I have only used it once and that was in kayak. I have never used it in a canoe because, as I said, it would be too hard on the knees. I would leave that decision up to the new owner.
Thanks to both of you for responding. I'll see if I can lower the seats. I have used sand in paint on other construction projects. I think I'll keep that as a last resort. The unfilled weave of cloth was the desired surface, so I'm kicking myself for going past that. Yes, I could leave the whole thing for the buyer, but if the slipperiness can be reduced, I think it would make the boat "show" better. How about these ideas:

Sand (i.e. de-gloss) the existing varnish, or
Sand and re-coat with matte varnish - would a matte finish make any noticeable difference?
Line the entire hull with 2mm neoprene (just kidding)

RS
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

On my first boat I did not obtain a textured inner hull surface and I applied 4 coats of a gloss varnish but I have never found it to be slippery. On my other boats I did manage to obtain a textured inner hull surface and I have only used the matte varnish on my last canoe. However, since I have a textured surface, I can't really judge the non-slip properties of matte varnish.