Basswood, Sassafrass or Cypress

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
gnawbonejack

Basswood, Sassafrass or Cypress

Post by gnawbonejack »

Any suggestions or experience as to which would be better for planking. :thinking
Tom in MN

Post by Tom in MN »

I have built a number of strip canoes out of basswood. Works fine. You can use thinner strips 3/16" with no problems to compensate for weight. It is strong and pretty flexible and glues well. I actually think the thinner strips work better with basswood. 1/4 inch strips can be a little stought for tough places that need some flexibility. Machines well and is more resistant to sanding than cedar. I use it because it is less expensive and readily available here in MN. I can usually get clear boards 12-13 ft long. I like building with shorter strips so this is no problem. You will not likley be able to buy basswood in full lengths.

Many of canoes have been built out of cypress, so that is a good option as well. They are all heavier than cedar, so keep that in mind in the over all weight equation.
Kurt Loup

cypress

Post by Kurt Loup »

Cypress will work fine. I've used cypress in all the boats I have made due to it being readily available and inexpensive where I live. Like Tom said, it will be a little heavier than cedar, but it mills better.

Kurt

Sonshine777

Post by Sonshine777 »

Kurt,

I love the color selection in your canoe. Is that all Cypress?
Tom
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

Thanks. It is western red cedar on the bottom with two thin strips of redwood (hard to notice). Cypress is on the top. The gunwales and seat hardware, thwarts and stems are ash.

Kurt
Sonshine777

Post by Sonshine777 »

Very nice indeed. I just a 15' Ranger (my first boat) and I think i have the bug. :smile

Here is the thread that has some photos.

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2 ... 2&start=15
Tom
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

Tom,

Nice job on the Ranger!

Kurt
Rick

Post by Rick »

Tom, and any others using basswood, any photos of basswood canoes?
Tom in MN

Post by Tom in MN »

No photos readily availble, but very light in color. Almost closer to yellow than brown. Very similar to pine. If you look at the picture of the wee lassie that scrolls across the top of the bear mountain forum page, it would be similar to the light colored wood in the accent strips.

Tom
gnawbonejack

When in Doubt

Post by gnawbonejack »

fter reading what's been done before, I opted for a mix of basswood and cypress. The basswood definitely works out lighter both in color and weight, but the cypress has some great grain characteristics. I've added one piece of 16 foot cedar for some long lengths and after three weekends eating dust, I'm ready for my bead and cove work. Thans again to all! :smile