New Sailing Canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
cecbell

New Sailing Canoe

Post by cecbell »

This is a shot of the beautiful new sailing canoe, Bufflehead, recently launched. It's designed for stitch 'n glue construction, intended to be capable of some serious canoe cruising/camping. 15' 6" l.o.a., 33" beam.

Several are being, or have been, built for the purpose of working out whatever kinks may be in the plans which will become available later. It's such a beautiful thing I couldn't help but post it for anyone interested in building a sailing canoe. Additional pictures can be seen here
http://picasaweb.google.com/EclecticTra ... aranacLake
You can see from one of the shots it's able to plane in a breeze, even when reefed.
Charles Campbell
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Nice looking boat.
David James

Post by David James »

Charles, thanks for the photos of your nice looking sailing canoe. A beatiful canoe set against beatiful scenery - I looked at each photo.
I just recently unrolled my plans for a 13' Rob Roy and have been wondering about the sailing possibilities of such a small boat. It will be my second stripper, the first being an F17.
Has anyone ever built a canoe with a removable daggerboard?

Nice job, and thanks again for posting the shots of her! :smile

Dave
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
cecbell

Post by cecbell »

Dave, thanks. I only wish that canoe were mine. The one in the pictures is Hugh Horton's. I believe he's going to have it at the Killbear Paddlers Rendezvous coming up in a few days.

Mac McCarthy's book Feaherweight Boatbuilding shows a picture of an 11' Wee Lassie with a sail rig on it along with a drawing of the rig details. I figure if you can put a sail on one of those, you can put a sail on most anything. In a canoe that size, the sail area needs to be kept small. The one shown for the Wee Lassie would probably work just as well for the Rob Roy.

I put a daggerboard in my sailng canoe. I'm not quite sure what you mean by a removable daggerboard since the daggerboard itself is removable. The case that holds it is a permanent fixture--sitting right in the middle of prime real estate. Which is why most sailing canoes use a leeboard. It's easy to make the leeboard thwart removable so the sailng rig can be completely unshipped, or nearly so, when you want to go paddling.

If the canoe is set up well, sailing it can be an absolute pleasure so I hope you're able to pursue this.
Charles Campbell
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Now that looks really cool. Very nice.
Cheers, Robbie.