An "Aussie" Redbird

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Ramps

An "Aussie" Redbird

Post by Ramps »

Inspired by many web sites around the world a after much reading and issue solving on this website (even though I have contributed little) I have completed my (first) canoe.

This Redbird was launched in January this year (yes I know it only took 9 months to report back) but I promised that I would. You guys deserve some praise for the unknown help that you have given me.

The whole journey is on an Australian woodworking forum site (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au ... hp?t=36091)if any of you want a hour or so of reading.

Thanks Guys

Hull is Paulownia and all other trim is Western Australian Sheoak (Casuarina fraserii)

Some pics for you
Ramps from Oz
Ramps

Post by Ramps »

:sad

OK what's happened to my pics?

:thinking

By the way it took about five months in the carport to build
Ramps from Oz
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Ramps, congratulations on your first build! When I go to Aussie Wooden Boat Forum I can read your threads but I cannot view the pics, one must be a registered member. This would also prevent you from showing them here. You would have to load your pics to a photo sharing service (like Photobucket.com) to be able to display the pics here.
Ramps

Post by Ramps »

That was quick Glen
I didn't realise that they'd done that to our WW forums ... too late tonight I'll get onto it tomorrow
sorry
Ramps from Oz
Ramps

Post by Ramps »

Glen
Logged off the woodworking forums and could still see all the pictures so I don't know what the story is there.

I've put a few on google to share but looks like the same issue. Can anyone see the prob?

The hyperlink in the above post seemed to work OK just not the images. I've tried grabbing this URL from between in tags and it works all right in the address bar of the browser

Hang it ... this is the link to the gallery
http://picasaweb.google.com/RunningRamp ... irdShassie
Ramps from Oz
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

She looks awesome! Nice job! congratulations!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Very nice job, Bravo!

Not all photo sharing services will allow to display a photo, only to post a link to see the photo. They want to attract us to their photo service website where they can encourage us to join as members and they can flash all kinds of advertisements at us.
Sonshine777

Post by Sonshine777 »

:applause Beautiful boat you have there and a fine family as well. :big grin
Tom
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Looks great! The redbird is one of the most beautiful canoes out there and yours is a beautiful rendition.

Cheers,
Bryan
Ramps

Post by Ramps »

thanks guys
Never did work out why I shouldn't put a slider in a symmetrical canoe ... seems to work well though

Works well for the whole family
Ramps from Oz
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Ramps, they say to never install a bow slider seat in a symmetrical canoe because when you paddle it solo you normally sit in the bow seat facing the stern. The sliding seat supporting structure gets in the way when you do this. If you normally paddle solo from a kneeling position slightly behind the center thwart, then the sliding bow seat isn't a problem.
Ramps

Post by Ramps »

Glen
i did wonder if this was the reason but it didn't quite make sense as when, in solo mode and the seat has been slid towards the centre thwart the support is actually under the seat so it seems not to be a problem.
As for paddling from a kneeling position, apart from finding this very uncomfortable I find this canoe is a bit too wide to be paddling from too near the centre and it pretty much has a very long "keel like design" (even though it doesn't actually have a built in keel) that it's very easy to keep straight regardless of where you paddle it from.

Just my experience (which is minimal). Never even owned a canoe (and only paddled one a few times) before this one

Ramps
Ramps from Oz
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Beautiful Redbird :applause I love the decks.
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

Beautiful!!! What wood are the gunnels and seats?

Kerry
Ramps

Post by Ramps »

Kerry
the gunnels, seats and decks are Western Australian Sheoak. Got about a cubic metre tucked away, I love it. A bit dense for boats ( about 600kg/m3 ... sorry don't know what to translate that into if you're non-metric) but better than most of the other native timbers that we have available (800-1200kg.m3 ... ie will sink even when kiln dried!)

You guys don't know how lucky you are with all your softwoods ... at least for boatbuilding ... I can't say I mind too much when it comes to furniture making though

ciao
Ramps
Ramps from Oz