Lofting Sairy Gamp... Issues..?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Rehd, sorry to hear about the accident, I hope you recover quickly and fully.

I would love to see what you have done with the Sairy Gamp numbers. I sent you a PM with details.
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

O.K. Will, hopefully, get them all finished this weekend..

Got the PM and necessary info.. Thanks.!

Rehd
Rehd Brown

Re: Lofting Sairy Gamp... Issues..?

Post by Rehd Brown »

Wow..!! Has it been that long... since 2007.?
First off, I was really sorry to hear that Glen had passed. We talked many times about different builds and especially on the Sairy Gamp. Glen sent me the numbers lofted by O.E. Markkula, back in 2007 and I redid them in 'inches' and drew them up for strip & glass construction. I got as far as cutting out the forms and sent the numbers and patterns back to Glen. No idea if he ever used them. ?
Many things got in the way, some financial, and I just plain got away from building. None of my kids and Grandkids wanted to build, and that was pretty much the reason I started. I have two G.G-kids now and NOW they want to build a couple of canoes. ? Go Figure. I found the molds and the bench under 3" of fine dust in the back shed..
Another reason I got away was because I couldn't find suitable materials around here. The cedar was pitiful, redwood too expensive and just lost interest.
I also explored the idea of finding Paulownia, but, there was nothing to be found on the left coast. I found a couple of other fellas out here that were interested in Paulownia as well, so, we ordered trees from back east. We've since developed 3 plantations, 10 acre, 2 - 20 acre properties. We have a few harvestable trees now and are trying to develop a market on the west coast. Very difficult at best. Hard to get folks to grow them, and hard to find anyone out here that knows what Paulownia is. We found one outlet near Santa Cruz Calif. and they are showing our wood in a couple of woodworkers shows to see what interest they can develop. They have several logs they are working up for the show, and I decided to build a small boat so they can show off the wood color and weight.
That brings me to the Sairy Gamp. My G-kids want to learn to build, so that boat will be a good project to get them started. Then we want to do a couple of prospectors.. IF they decide to continue. I will build another, no matter what.
We'll start the Sairy Gamp this coming week, setting up the bench and moulds this weekend and I'll be taking pics of the process.

Rehd
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

welcome back!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

Glad to be back. Doesn't look as busy as it used to be..? Everyone out getting in those last few paddles before weather moves in.?
One thing nice is, there's LOTS of reading to catch up on. :wink
One bad thing is, lots of the pics have been removed over the years. :sad
Got sidetracked already today. Putting brakes on a '98 mustang. Some body used lock-tite on all the bolts on the calipers. Took all day..!!
Hopefully back on track tomorrow.!

Rehd
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Yes ! Welcome back !
Pictures are great !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!