Varnishing

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mikestenger

Varnishing

Post by mikestenger »

The World's slowest canoe builder is preparing to varnish the hull. Everything else is finished...paddles...seats...carrying yoke. Varnished and ready to go.

I am using Z-Spar Captain's Varnish (most appropriate since I am a retired Captain!). The instructions on the can, and the expanded instructions that I downloaded from the Pettit website both say 'don't apply when rain is threatening'. HUH? I live in NW Washington and if rain isn't threatening, that means IT IS RAINING! A typical day right now is a high of about 55F and rain is normal. I can heat the garage to about 60 to maybe 63F.

Do you think I can go ahead and varnish, or should I wait until spring? I would really like to get this boat finished!

Thanks.
15' Bob's Special...Boat completed in late October 2007.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The rain threat probably has to do with the level of humidity in the air or if varnishing in an exposed area like in applying varnish on a yacht at the boat yard. If you are working in a protected area, I don't think you will have any problems although a high humidity level can slow down the curing process as will low temperatures.
cecbell

Post by cecbell »

I've found I prefer to varnish in poor drying conditions (cooler temps and /or when the air isn't so dry). It seems to be more forgiving of my not so meticulous application.
Charles Campbell