wet sanding with random oribtals?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
AkDan

wet sanding with random oribtals?

Post by AkDan »

Curiuos, I have the 5" dewalt. Looking through the old canoe craft it shows Ted wet sanding with an older style ROS, can it be done with the newer models?

Can't find any literature on doing it, but I'm thinking you cant? I'd hate to ruin it as It's brand new. Or get zapped standing in water ;)
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I was shocked :frightened when I saw that photo also.

I am not going to be the one to do a test, I think it could be too risky.
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

aw but Glenn ;).

I think I'm going to just sand 80 grit and follow John Michne's example, holding off with the 120 till after the gunwales are on. Then varnish and call it done.

Need to build my stand today, now that i can make dust again without fear of ruining anything.
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

A recommendation like that isn't something you just throw out to Mr. Average reader.

However, I have done it and it will work provided one is careful about technique.

I use a water spray bottle and only squirt on enough water to get a few drops on the surface. I then keep a terry cloth towel handy to wipe off the white paste created, then spray more of the mist over the area.
I'm very careful to not get water running off the boat, creating a puddle... and I also watch the amount of moisture that collects around the sanding pad of the Orbital.
Most sanders (newer models) are all made of high impact plastic and there's little chance of getting the water up into the electrical parts unless you really get crazy with the water.

I also turn off the sander or hold it totally away from where I'm spraying the mist of water.

As I said, you can do it... you need to keep your command sense about you... and keep the surrounding area as dry as possible. Keep the moisture to a minimum.. and wipe it down as you go..

I did find that I liked hand sanding better, by the way.. The orbitals are notorious for taking material off quickly and with the slurry of resin/water you can't see what you're doing until you stop and wash the area down and it's very easy to take off too much material...

Would I recommend it to the average person.. ?? No..! But, people 'have' and 'will' try it, so that's why I say, be very careful how you go about it.

Rehd
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Need to build my stand today,...
One suggestion: find the scraps from when you cut out your molds. mount a couple of them on your strongback (an inch or 2 toward the bow/stern than their designated location) creating a cradle on your strongback. Cover them with some padding. You can then simply remove the molds from underneath the canoe while it's in place (leaving the stem molds to hold the canoe in place. Loosen the screws holding the stem molds in place and then flip the canoe over and set it back down on the cradle. No need to build a stand or take extra floorspace.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
ruso

Post by ruso »

I've seen it done as well, but on concrete countertops. The guy just used a GFCI on his extension cord.

Ruso
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

instead of chancing it, I scaned with the 80.

I did build the regular style supports. Thanks Dad I did see that also. My strongback was up on sawhorses so it would have been to high.

I did make the upright portions oout of a piece cut to 36"es instead of the 20something recommended. I'm not tall but I sure can't hunker over that far either. The 36" length was just about perfect. WHen I got tried of standing, a few minor adjustments and you could sit on a 5 gallon pail and it was perfect.

Have it scraped and did some sanding last nite. Need to work the bilge area more, got some bumps in that area. The bottom planed nicely for the most part so it went pretty quick suprisingly. I'm ohping to be done sanding tonight, hoping is the key word ;)
willo

wet sanding

Post by willo »

I just bought a new sander. The manual says in big letters not to use wet sanding.
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

willo,

Thanks. I didn't figure I should so didnt. Of course I didnt save the manual when I bought my dewalt, oops.

Boy did anyone ever say fairing the inside STINKS ;)!
Doug

Post by Doug »

I have always thought it unnecessary for wet sanding with a ROS.
(water & eletricity is wrong)
I will wet the wood down, to pull out the grain, and then hand sand.
Wetting the wood down is a great way to see what the end product looks like.

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM