The Kestrel from start to finish

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Tim Eastman

The Kestrel from start to finish

Post by Tim Eastman »

For any who have been following the canoe build - I finally got the build page updated. Each photo calls up a description and editorial of what we did at that stage of the build.

So if you guys are interested the process from start to finish is here including tips and cheap tricks we used along the way. It is very photo intensive due to clarity of explanations.

http://home.wmis.net/~eastmant/projects.html
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Tantalo

Post by Tantalo »

Nice pics. Made me consider bevelled strips over bead and cove. Enjoy your boat.
God Bless.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Wow! She looks great! Congratulations on the teamwork.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Artisty,
Beveled strips, who did you like doing them?

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

Hey Tim & Chris..

Awesome Build..!!

Great Job on both the Canoe and Album! Very informative and beautiful boat. Wow..!

Thanks for sharing..!

Rehd
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Doug wrote:Artisty,
Beveled strips, who did you like doing them?

Doug

Hi Doug

I debated with myself about doing beveled strips or not. I won. :laughing

Two sides to that camp debate. One side says one saves time and expense on setting up and routing 100% consistent strips by going with rolling bevel. Just rip the thicknessed stock and start stripping the canoe/kayak/rowing boat.

The other side says it doesn't take that much longer to do bead and cove and you get interlocking joints which if jointed/clamped together properly shouldn't be a problem with joint filling later on.

My position here is we don't have a decent router table - shoot I don't even have a decent router.(I almost destroyed that cherry seat rails when my jig slipped on me) So we came up with doing rolling bevel almost by default.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. Rolling bevel is not that hard even for a first canoe like this was. And it actually was pretty quick once we (finally) got a system down. You definately have to be mindful of grain run in the strip. The grain can and does change from one end of the strip to the other.

Next time I'll be doing stapless :twisted evil
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

:applause Beautiful canoe, great job :applause

What's next?
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Hi MT - I'm not sure. It's a toss up between the full sized Freedom or the Northwest Cruiser from North West Canoes. I have them both on cad ready to draw out the forms. The Freedom looks really sweet in 3D wireframe but we may be looking more for a river canoe with maneuverable rocker. The NW Cruiser has almost a full inch of rocker over 17' and substantial girth midships. The Freedom's rocker is about the same maybe a tad more. She seems a little slimmer in the girth.

So it's really a toss up. You have any guidelines for me? We'd be using the canoe both locally on rivers and small lakes and extended tripping in Canada and the BWCA.
mtpocket wrote:Beautiful canoe, great job

What's next?
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~