SUGAR IN THE VARNISH

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
viking

SUGAR IN THE VARNISH

Post by viking »

Awhile back there was a thread about creating a matte finish on the inside bottom of the canoe. I believe Glen mentioned using sugar in the varnish and it would melt away leaving a matte finish. I would like to try this on my Bob's both for anti-skid and hopefully fade some ugliness. I already have three coats of varnish on the inside. Last coat applied about a month ago. I'm using Captains 1015 spar varnish. I assume I would sand existing coat before appling new but would I add sugar to varnish or sprinkle on afterwards? How would I know how much sugar to use? Is this even a good idea? Thanks Mike. BTW Glen your method of installing second layer of glass on the inside football worked well even with my limited know how.
Ain't none of us as smart as all of us.
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Having not done this sugar thing makes me a qualified armchair expert.

However - I would not mix sugar into the final varnish due to what it might chemically do to the varnish itself. I might dust the last coat while it's still tacky though. It will wash off.

We were concerned about the inside being slippery when we did a wet out then a fill coat then three layers of varnish. But it wasn't all that slippery.

We bought a non-slip additive product at Home Depot in their paint department which *looks* white but was quite clear when mixed in a test batch.

But we wound up not using it. It cost less than $5- I'd go with that - not the sugar.
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Rick

Post by Rick »

All those little holes might collect dirt and make the interior difficult to keep clean. I went with the ordinary gloss interior, and the surface can be slippery when dry. The main problem happens when the knees slip around on the varnish... moistening the surface makes it less slippery and paddling is easier that way.

PS... adding sand or whatever non-slip material to the varnish might make it difficult to sand out later on... just a thought.
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

I used the sand type product in my Rob-Roy... It works great... unless you plan on spending a lot of time on your knees... My knees don't like it... but I'm near 60... and they're tender anyway.. I would still use it, but put a towel down or wear jeans or something to protect the knees.

It's easy to apply... I mixed a 3 or 4 oz. batch of epoxy, mixed in the sand and dumped in the bottom, spread it around with a squeegee... I taped the sides where I wanted it to stop... It looks shiny, is plenty gritty, works like a charm, but wears on bare knees really nasty..!!!

Rehd
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

Here's a pic of the application:

Ericthenorse

Post by Ericthenorse »

I would try sugar ON the varnish rather than IN it.... After yur last coat, sprincle liberally with sugar.... Then when the varnish has cured, you can wash off the sugar, and you will have a matt finish.... :cool
Doug

Post by Doug »

Why not use a final semi-gloss over top of the gloss?
My boats all have high gloss varnish.
Over the years you will develop a semi gloss finish with use.

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
viking

Post by viking »

Maybe I just leave well enough alone. I had it out the other week and it really wasn't slippery and looks OK. Maybe I'm suffering from some sort of post build anxiety and just can't quit :razz . Maybe time to set up the strong back and visit the lumber yard. Thanks for the good info though.
Ain't none of us as smart as all of us.
Doug

Post by Doug »

The other way, if I remember correctly ....apply only two coats.

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM