Freedom 17 Weight

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Adamv

Freedom 17 Weight

Post by Adamv »

I've just finished my first canoe (15' Bob Special) and am already thinking of my next build down the road. I'm looking at the 17' Freedom. I'm slightly concerned about weight. In CanoeCraft, the Bob's Special is listed at 40 to 50 lbs. With moderate weight-saving measures, mine came out at 50 lbs on the button. The book lists the 17' Freedom at 50+ lbs.

For the guys who have built the Freedom, what has yours weighed in at? For mine, I'd be looking at 1/4" strips, butternut seats, yoke and thwart, 6 oz cloth inside and out, and ash gunnels (can I use softwood for these?). I'd be open to other weight-saving measures if it didn't compromise the strength too much.

Cheers,
Adam
Who travels not by water knows not the fear of God --- 17th Century Sailor
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Mine's in the 55 pound range. Using Mahogany trim, 1/4" strips, 6 ounce glass with extra foot ball, ash seats.

Drop down to 3/16" strips and you won't sacrifice strength but you'll lose weight. I build with only 3/16" strips now.

BTW, I love my Freedom. Best canoe ever! :)

Here's some weight saving techniques: http://www.nessmuking.com/lightjaycanoe.htm
Oshan OkaPini

I don't normally reveal her weight...

Post by Oshan OkaPini »

but mine came in at 61 lbs. I left the SS screws in the gunwales for extra strength and had curly maple decks. These two added around 5 extra pounds.

Norman in MS
Right now, there is no cure.