Offset errors for Resolute

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Leadman

Offset errors for Resolute

Post by Leadman »

I am finally getting around to lofting the forms for a Resolute 16'6". There appear to be errors in the offset table. Are corrected offsets available somewhere. Also are these offsets to the outside of the hull and deck or to the outside of the station form?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The measurements do not include the planking, they are to the outer edges of the forms. There are some corrections posted here for the stem forms: http://www.bearmountainboats.com/0-kayakstems.htm

Also, depending on the publication date of your copy of KayakCraft, there may be a mistake on page 30 for the deck offsets. In some books, the names "Profile" and "Sheer" have been inverted. Mine are inverted and the book is from 1999.

I hope this helps.
Leadman

Resolute 16'6" Offsets

Post by Leadman »

Thanks for the information. I am still confused that the sheer offsets for the hull do not coincide with the sheer offsets for the deck. Since the sheer is where the deck meets the hull shouldn't they be the same point?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Actually, the sheer points given in the table of offsets don't define the real sheerline. They are reference points only. Once you join all the dots for the hull and join all the dots for the deck, the two lines will intersect at what is the true sheerline location. You have to plot it on paper to see it come to life.
BennyWailer

Post by BennyWailer »

Shouldn't the deck and hull intersect at the sheer point? How is it that the sheer points given in the table are for reference?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

OK, let me attempt to explain it this way:

When you plot the hull offsets, the sheer point will be located above the actual deck and when you plot the deck offsets, the sheer point will be located beyond the actual hull.

After joining all the dots for the hull and all the dots for the deck you will have two intersecting lines which define the true sheer-line.

This image may not be the clearest but it's all I have for now. I hope it helps.

BennyWailer

Post by BennyWailer »

I think guys must have a different version of kayakcraft. Mine only has one set of sheer points for the deck and hull. The sheer points are listed in both tables but they're the same ordered pair in both.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Perhaps the offsets have changed since my book was published. I suggest plotting out one form to see how it goes. You could scan it or photograph it and post it here if you have any problems with it.