Project for 2008

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Glen Smith

Project for 2008

Post by Glen Smith »

Once I get through fixing up the kayak that is presently in my shop I will repair the outwales on my Hiawatha then I will finally move on to a new project.

It is an open deck kayak, 16' 6" long and 25.3" wide. It will have two seats and it will be possible to paddle it solo by relocating one seat to the correct position. It will also have a rudder which can be controlled by foot pedals from either of the three paddling positions. I will install bulkheads with hatches at the bow and stern.

The link shows three views of the design: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v427/ ... k%20Kayak/

Denis

Post by Denis »

Hi Glen

Looks like a very interesting project.

Denis
Bud

Post by Bud »

Watch out Steve Killing. Glen's after your job :laughing

Looks like a nice design, Glen. This could be a good candidate for a sailing rig....

Keep us posted!

Bud
"Canoes don't tip. People just fall out of them!" Omer Stringer
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

A sailing rig??????????? :thinking Perhaps as an add-on some time in the future.
viking

Post by viking »

Glen, is this your own design?
Ain't none of us as smart as all of us.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

This design is a mixture. The hull lines are based on the Resolute with some modifications to meet my requirements. I drew up my own plans using KayakFoundry. The plans will require some changes to incorporate inner and outer stems and also sheerclamps.

I still have to work out some things like the rudder being controlled from any position but I already have a few thoughts on that.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Glen,

Looks ike another interesting project. I still have JF16 and Papou in works. I am making a bit of headway over the Christmas Holidays - work has given me a short "lull" - shhh...

I have also got my pieces cut/milled and ready for assembly of my hollow shaft paddle and for the hollow mast for JF16.

I hope to have the molds set up for JF16 soon - I have to steam/shape the stems first (next couple of days).

Yup, I have a lot on the go - you seem to have better focus and are able to complete your projects. Keep us posted in this one - have you picked a name yet?

I hope your Christmas and New Years holiday season is/will be filled with safe celebration with your loved ones.

Best regards,

Snowman
Snowman back East
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Nope, no name yet. I still have several months to think about that. Any suggestions?

Keep me posted on your progress with the projects.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Hi, I too, would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year.
I havn't done a thing on the canoe since the cold weather set in. So much to do in the spring.
I got a couple books for Christmas, Ted Moores Kayak building, another kayak building book and small craft building book.
I love the reading and who knows, maybe I'll get a kayak built too.
I lost my job 3 weeks before Christmas so I took a kick in the groin there. I landed another within 24 hrs but it pays much less so my boat building funds have been severly chopped. At least I'm still working.
Have a great day!
Cheers, Robbie.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Glen,

Very nice design. You'll have your hands full incorporating so many features into one single design. After seeing first hand what you can do with design software, your eye for excelence and the work performed in your shop, I have no doubt you can pull it off. I must warn you though, when finished it may end up in the Canadian Canoe Museum. I've seen what appeared to be some "one off" designs in there and yours will fit in well. I don't know the specific criteria for the museum but I'll bet your design will get serious consideration.

You do great work, both on the computer and in the shop. Keep it up. I'm always anxious to see your next project but never surprised to see the results.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bud,

Steve doesn't have to worry about Glen. Glen does magnificient work and so does Steve. I've built boats designed by both designers. As a beginner three years ago, I built the Redbird canoe. Steves' design was not only beautiful, but was made easier because he did his homework so I didn't have to. It was easily built and paddles like a dream. Two years ago and again last year, I built kayaks that were Glens' design. Again, beautiful, easy and paddles like a dream. There's room for both, Steve and Glen. As builders, we want designs that are suited to our building abilities. As paddlers, we want designs that suit our needs, paddling abilities and our body size. With thousands of designs out there, we are constantly searching for something different. These two designers keep on doing their thing so we can keep on doing ours.
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Looks good Glen, glad to see you are still "cranking" them out! It is very impressive that you have chosen to design/modify your new builds. I imagine that must take a bit of technical skill and lots of imagination.

I am in the midst of building a S&G Kayak. The Night Heron. I wanted to build a kayak and try the stitch and glue method- as always I am having a good time with it in the garage.

Here is a link to some photos:

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/nightheron/

So Glen, my one question is: Where/how do you store all your boats?

Mark,
Cantley, Quebec.
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Night Heron is a very nice kayak. I see your project is advancing at a good pace.

I have 5 boats hanging in a variety of locations in the basement. I have run out of room to store them. Last year I erected a 10' X 19' shed and in the Spring I will make a rack so I can store a few boats in there. That will leave me with some room to hide more boats in the basement. :laughing

Proven designs are very good but there is always a little something that I modify to better suit personal needs.