the bad gunnel job

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
AkDan

the bad gunnel job

Post by AkDan »

Well here is a couple pics of it. You'll see in the one photo how they are tilted up pretty hard at the decks. I aint to pleased with it, kinda mulling around now on how to go about fixing it. Thinking of thining it down thickness wise some more then rounding them.

The deck pic I tried wetting down, so the discoloration is only water that has started to dry. I havent cleaned up the ends of the stem yet...make note here, do it before you glue it! I can see this biting me in the rear end here if I aint careful.

Some more sanding work and then varnish and she's done. If it were only truely that easy ;). Still a blast though.............again thank you for the help!

Oh, on the scuppers. Johns site and I've noticed on others using routers to round them over. Boy I dunno how yall do it. I bought the round over bit for my dremel and gave that a modest attempt at learning...well it didnt go so hot. I was trying to freehand it as I dont have the router bracket for the dremel yet. Gonna go by lowes tomorrow and see if they have it. Thankfully the screwup gunnels (first attempt), are perfect for practicing this on.

the deck from above......

Last edited by AkDan on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

Here is the end I had to build up as I couldnt quite keep the ends up level with the decks. Something I'll need to still do on the 2nd picture, you can see the one end is a little low. Bending and adding another screw didnt help (there is one screw hole I still need to plug there, debating wood or filler though I'm likely going to do wood.

Last edited by AkDan on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

and here is the fiew of the cocked gunnels at the deck and the other place I need to shim slightly to bring the low gunnel level to the deck.

canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Dan,
I think your gunwales are going to come out fine. Lots of guys thin them on the inside face before they glue them in, it helps take away the bulky look as you get to the stems. The reason to plane down the inner face is so as not to expose end grain on the outer face. I didn't thin my gunwales prior to mounting and had to plane them down on the outer face. so far they aren't showing any signs of splintering out, but I put on thinned epoxy and lots of varnish.

The quandary on gunwales is always how to end them. Should you wrap them around the stem, cut them flush, cut them short, round them, chamfer them? It's enough to drive one to distraction. Work with yours a bit and I think you'll find they come out fine.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Mac

Post by Mac »

Dan,
Your second and third pictures seem to reflect a great deal of tumblehome at the stems, which would explain the cocked gunwhale. But that is a fairly rare feature for a canoe; what model are you building?

That being said, I agree with canoeblderinmt that you will be surprised what a sander and a little elbow grease will do to improve the final product.

As for the route, I too was worried about that but after buying a quality roundover bit with a bearing guide, it turned out great. I would recommend the router over the dremel however and would strongly advise against freehanding it.

Good luck, your canoe is looking great. I especially love the deck dessign.
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

canoebldr,

I did taper them from 3/4" to right at 1/2" at the ends of the stems. They are just hacked off right now, my plan was to round them off with the gunnel.

My biggest concern was getting the gunnels to look decent cocked like that against my deck.

The canoe is called the seneca 140. And that tumble home as bit me in the rear on this build more then a few times. I like the lines from the side more and more, and dislike that amount of tumble home more and more as this build as gone on. To stubborn not to see it through no matter how many mistakes I make ;). Well if I get at it with a drill you'll know I've gone off the deep end.

I'll pick up a round over today and give it a go on my screw up gunnels . Still have 3 sides I can play with here to see what I like/want/etc. (the pair that didnt fit originally).
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Because this design has tumblehome, I would have sawn or planed a bevel on the back face (toward hull) so that the outwale top surface would remain at a flat angle. The last 24 to 30" from each end I would also thin down from full to half thickness for a sleeker look. I believe the "strange" or "bulky" look of your outwales is caused by the fact that you did not bevel the back face. Since your outwales are already installed, it is too late to correct this situation without reshaping the outer faces which will expose end grain. Applying a few coats of epoxy then varnish could minimise this problem.

Don't despair, all is not lost. I am sure you will end up with some very decent outwales and a great looking canoe to enjoy.
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

Well, ya'll sright. I just did it and so far things are looking pretty nice.

Another mistake. Tapered plugs dont seat all the way so if you're going to get into them, dont apply them first LOL! Have a few fillers I had to take care of tonight before I was done.

Another overlooked deal, I wish I would have thinned my gunnels thickness side to side more, but also from top to bottom as it came into the stems. They are kinda gawdy that last 6-8"es or so....

I'll post prefinish pics when I get there, hopefully tomorrow or monday
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

oh I might add, I wish I had left all 4 of the stems low and added the top piece.

Looks kinda cool ;). One side has the two as shown above and the other has 1.