Keel over glass?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Doug/N.Alberta

Keel over glass?

Post by Doug/N.Alberta »

Hello to all, so glad the forum is back, thanks. I'm almost finished planking and will be doing outer stems soon. My question is if i decide to install a keel to meet up with the outer stems(i would leave the stem to fair up to the keel What sort of problems is this going to present when putting the glass on the outside of the canoe? Or should i epoxy the keel after glassing? I'm thinking going over the fiberglass cloth with the keel and using epoxy of course. Any ideas? Thanks Doug
Building a 15foot Prospector Ranger right now
Joan and Ted
Site Admin

installing keel

Post by Joan and Ted »

Page 164 in the Revised CANOECRAFT tells you how to install the keel - of course you have to put the glass on first - it would be very hard to fit the glass over a keel. The keel goes on before the second and third coat of epoxy however.
Hope this helps - Joan
François

Keel over glass

Post by François »

In 1986, I made a Prospector based on the first edition of Canoecraft. I decided to install a flat keel over the fiberglass. It was installed after the third coat of epoxy had cured. The idea was for the added protection of the canoe. I glued it on with epoxy and it worked fine. The canoe is still in good shape and is out regularly every summer. However, if I was making an other Prospector I would likely not install a keel in order to reduce the weight. On long portages, you will feel every extra pound.
Pete in the Deep South

Keel over Glass

Post by Pete in the Deep South »

One unexpected con was that I do not like the way my straps fit on the hull when hauling the keeled canoe. I paddle a 15' Bob's Special, and I don't think much could be gained by using a keel on this design which is similar to your canoe.