Redbird stems

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Tony In Paradise, Ca

Redbird stems

Post by Tony In Paradise, Ca »

Im having trouble visualizing the fitting of the outside stems. I read the directions in canoecraft and read about it on stem faqs (Green Vally boats site.) However I dont get it. Very frustrated. Any ideas ? Thanks, Tony
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

tom in caledonia

Redbird stems

Post by tom in caledonia »

Hi Glenn and Tony. I was just reading Canoecraft last night and looking at my Redbird stems. To facilitate bonding and looks Ted tells us to round off the inside portion of the inner stem where it is exposed to the inside of the canoe. I'm just not sure if he means all surfaces, just the end or something else. How much and to what profile do you round off? Thanks in advance.
Regards
Tom
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That would just be the portion of the inner stems that is horizontal and pointing towards the sheerline as the stems sit on the molds. Just a small roundover (1/8") is fine. That would be the portion called "Section A" on page 117. Also roundover the inboard end of the stems where they come against the stem mold and first station mold.
tom in caledonia

Post by tom in caledonia »

Thanks Glen. No doubt will be talking to you again soon.
patrick pfeifer

Post by patrick pfeifer »

Well, we have the strongback built and now we need to make the molds. i have another question about the stem. On the redbird plans, it says the stems should be 3/4 by 3/4 for both the inner and outer stems. if you use 1/2 inch plywood for the molds, should you also use that for the stem mold, or should you make the stem mold out of 3/4 inch plywood so that the stem doesnt hang over the edge of the mold. Thanks, Patrick
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I would use the 1/2" ply for the stem molds. When you shape the "rolling bevel" on the inner stems you will be removing material and digging into the stem molds. Using 3/4" stem molds will create more work for you during this phase.
patrickpfeifer

Post by patrickpfeifer »

Ok, another stem question, (sort of) on the station 8 mold, which side of the line on the stem should it be on, left, right, or centered? (the plan shows a lign on the stem mold for the station 8 mold, but it doesnt say which side to put it on. thanks.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

You put it on the same side of the line as stations 2 to 7.