this canoe is cursed

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
AkDan

this canoe is cursed

Post by AkDan »

Boy I'm so close to being done. Final sand of the 3rd coat of varnish and spray and she's done.

That is till I showed my mother in law tonight the boat. One end promptly fell off the support I had for having it upside down when varnishing. Hit the stem enough to show white glass marks, ugg. It'll have to wait till next winter now or when it gets revarnished.

I'll post pics here in a bit of what she looks like with 3 coats of varnish on it. It's not the prettiest varnish job, not really sure in this garage I'm going to be able to get a nice glossy smooth varnish but I'm gonna try.

Going to spray using the preval sprayers, anyone ever try these?
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

might add for clarity the canoe rolled as it fell off the support thankfully hitting the bottom where the stem turns up to the decks.

And the question I had with the preval spray is it is saying thin 4 oz of varnish with .4 oz thinner. Isnt the system 3 varnish thin enough? I havent given it a go yet, that should be here in the next day or three.
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

You're not cursed, you just have old "Murphy" helping you out. He hangs around my shop a fair bit as well. Keep your chin up, "Murphy" will dawdle off to some other poor builders shop soon enough!

Mark,
Cantley, Quebec.
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

I feel bad for the poor sucker who gets him next if he's as hard on them as he has been on this build LMAO!
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

AkDan wrote:LMAO!
Glad your laughing Dan. It's the only thing you can do in a time like this!
Cheers,
Bryan
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

I feel your pain Dan, it happens to alot of us. I remember rigging a pulley system to store my wife's just finished kayak and I dropped a 1/2"x4" eye bolt right on the deck!! Can't blame anyone but myself. Best thing is it still FLOATS!!
Ron
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Dan,
I married a Blackfeet woman. In the Blackfeet tradition, if a son-in-law speaks to his mother-in-law, he must pay her handsomely for the offense in horses and hides. Perhaps we should bring that tradition back: it might have saved your canoe!! :wink

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

oh the boat is fine...just a bruise that I really dont have time to fix right now. Gonna have to be next winter. Havent been out to the garage these last few days between work, sick and a messed up back that is feeling much gooder, I'm going to head out tonight and do a final sand before the last spray coat of varnish that should happen tomorrow, or sat.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

RonMc1954 wrote:... I remember rigging a pulley system to store my wife's just finished kayak and I dropped a 1/2"x4" eye bolt right on the deck!!...
I rigged up my new pulley system & attached the end of the block & tackle to a 2x4 attached by a previous house owner the the garage wall. I hoisted up the kayak which reached the ceiling, then the 2x4 pulled off the wall and the kayak came back down. Turns out the 2x4 was held to the wall with 2 nails. Thankfully, the kayak descended fairly gently and I was standing underneath it to break it's fall. :confused

Dan, glad things are progressing.

Cheers,
Bryan