Paint

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders

How do you feel about Painting a Wooden Boat

Never, I like the wood too much to cover it up
20%
It can be a nice option to make a boat unique
70%
Only to add protection and cover up mistakes
10%

Total votes: 20

Arctic

Paint

Post by Arctic »

Painting over our Wooden Boats. What do you think?

Any discussion to go along with your choice. I have found this to be a somewhat charged topic among some builders.

Mark
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Painting either the interior or the exterior, but not both, can give a wooden boat a special look. Painting the exterior of a strip canoe is reminiscent of the wood canvas canoes without the weight of the canvas.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I use to think painting (the exterior hull) was blasphemy.
But after several years of use, it might be a way to hide the never ending and dreadfull scratch situation.

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
cecbell

Post by cecbell »

I have to agree with Glenn that painting the outside while leaving the inside bright looks very much like the wood canvas canoes, which I think is quite special.

At the risk of blasphemy, I find the look of unrelieved wood quickly tires the eye. Brightwork shows up best when used as a highlight.

On the downside, as others have pointed out and I've experienced, paint can hide damage in the fiberglass and wood. If for any reason there's a path that allows moisture into the wood, perhaps a deep scratch, if not caught, may result in the wood swelling and cracking the glass. A high quality paint can be flexible enough to hide these cracks, which may be almost microscopic, while they're visible through varnish as thin white lines. For this reason, it seems prudent to have at least one side clear.

On the other hand, knowing in advance that it will be painted allows some lattitude in selecting the wood and possibly even omitting the bead and cove operation by filling the gaps with a low density filler. I plan to experiment with this approach on my next canoe (a Hugh Horton Bufflehead).
Charles Campbell
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

I think it looks OK, but can't see myself ever doing it because I like the look of wood so much better.
Alan
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

I agree with Glenn - one side only, usually outside. If you are building multiple boats, as many of us are doing/have done, then you can experiment. I love the look of that white winisk on the green valley site. I don't think its on the home page anymore but many of you have seen it.

Also I think "Nymph" Nick Schades small canoe publicized in Wooden Boat a couple months ago had the paint on the inside, and it looked pretty sweet.

Moonman.
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

Yeah, the white Winisk looks great. Especiallly with lighter colored trim.
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

Piture of the white winisk

nymph

Last edited by Moonman on Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

nymph inside

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

When we click on the thumbnails we see images the same size as the thumbnails. Do you have larger pics you can post?