fishing line method

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
roger bebee

fishing line method

Post by roger bebee »

I see while brousing the forum the fishing line method of planking mentioned but not really saying what it is . Did a couple of searches to try and find out what folks are talking about with no luck . I am sure someone can enlighten me with an explaination and its pros and cons.

Thanks
Roger Bebee :confused
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Unfortunately, I only have a few photos of the procedure. I lost all text when my computer backfired last Fall. If you can lead me to the thread about this procedure, It might help me to find more details. You just have to find the thread and copy and paste what is in the browser window into the message.
frugal

Post by frugal »

If you use the search tool in this forum and type in "fishing and line" or "stapleless and construction" without the quotes you will find a lot of posts on this that include photos. You will have to use the search tool a number of times because hitting the back button in your browser will come back to a page that has expired.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Roger,
Here are my build notes and pictures. I used fishing line for the first time on this boat. It did well coming up the sides, but I had some troubles using just line coming around the bilge and had abandoned it altogether when working on the bottom of the hull, switching to fiber tape and 2" packing tape, as well as a few clamps and a nail here and there. I might use it again on my next build, will just have to see. Note that I stripped bead up, so I didn't have to fool around with placing dowels in the coves where the fishing line went.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/canoeblderinmt/
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Rick in Pender Harbour

Post by Rick in Pender Harbour »

Hi Roger,

what are you building? I use the fishing line method for everything I build now, started with Wee lassie canoes and am currently making Cosine Wherries. It works well but there are a couple of tricks to keep everything aligned.
I use wood screws to hold the first strip to the forms, as all the rest of the strips will be tied to it. Place the second strip (i hold it temporarily with a couple of clamps) and start at one end and wrap the fishing line around the two strips, spiraling down the length of the boat. At the far end, clamp off the line. now place the next strip, and wind the line around all three, clamp off at the end. this is the basic process. I drive screws into the face of each form at 3 inch intervals, so that I can pass the fishing line around them to provide added force inward. Once you are up 3 or four strips, I like to pass the fishing line around the form, back up around the middle between the forms and around the next form so that the forces on the strips are even.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oysterbayboats/63083799/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oysterbayboats/63083798/
I strip up to the end of the stem, then complete one side, running the strips over the centerline, then cut back 3/8 inch from the center with a japanese saw, strip the other side, running those strips over the first side, and then cut it back 3/8 of and inch, then fit a center strip to close in the bottom.
Once the glue has dried, I just use a utility knife to run along the bottom of the shear, cutting all the fishing line, then pull the bits out (pull down, so as not to lift up the cove) the holes will disappear. I find it best not to try to strip the whole boat in one session, as the forces on the first few strips can get so high that they buckle if the glue has not had a chance to cure a bit, but I have stripped a wee lassie in 6 hours with a group of students, and you can easily strip 8 or 10 rows without stopping.
Let me know how it goes, or if you need more detail.

Rick
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

frugal wrote: You will have to use the search tool a number of times because hitting the back button in your browser will come back to a page that has expired.
If you have a problem after hitting the "back" button you can hit "refresh" and "retry" to get back to your prior search results. You don't have to re-initiate the search.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

When doing searches I open 2 windows. In one window I have the search results and I use the second window to view each thread so I never have to start over again or do a refresh.
:wink
roger bebee

Post by roger bebee »

Thanks to everyone for all the great responses , not only on the fishing line method but
also with the advice on using the search function with this terrific forum . I certainly need
all the help I can get with both . The photos are worth a thousand words . Using this method of stripping I may have a problem controlling the glue with the bead up and I assume the small voids left by removing the line does not lead to trapped air expanding during the epoxy application . Further comments appreciated .
thanks again
Roger
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Roger, I always strip with the bead up and I have overcome the glue application problem. I made some small pieces of plywood with a notch in them. I screw 3 or 4 of them to the station forms and I can rest a strip in the notches. With a strip in this position, I just walk along the boat applying a bead of glue in the cove of the strip to be installed. Lift the strip from the supports, flip it over and position over the bead of the previously installed strip. Very simple!

roger bebee

Post by roger bebee »

Rick , sorry I neglected to mention I'm building a 16 ft prospector and was kind of thinking the line would hold the planks in well at the cheeked area . Glen thanks for the photo , just curious as to your reason for stripping bead up , do you use this fishing line method ?
Roger :smile
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I strip bead up because I find it easier to apply the glue in the cove the way I do it with those little strip supports and I can use clamping jigs, webbing straps or any other device to hold the strips in place on the hull without worrying about damaging the coves.

Just my way of doing the job.
ruso

Post by ruso »

Having done the fishing line method I just want to warn you that if you don't have a helper that it can be a real pain in the butt to loop all that line. All it wants to do is pile up at your feet and knot. Just my experience...perhaps someone has figured out how to do it solo.

Ruso
Rick in Pender Harbour

Post by Rick in Pender Harbour »

Just don't drop the roll :shocked

rick
TC in Twin Lake

line type

Post by TC in Twin Lake »

Interesting method. What type of line and what test are you using for this process? Is this any easier than the standard stapless system?
KenC

Post by KenC »

Glen Smith wrote:I always strip with the bead up and I have overcome the glue application problem. I made some small pieces of plywood with a notch in them. I screw 3 or 4 of them to the station forms and I can rest a strip in the notches. With a strip in this position, I just walk along the boat applying a bead of glue in the cove of the strip to be installed. Lift the strip from the supports, flip it over and position over the bead of the previously installed strip. Very simple!
That's what I do also ... I have 3 notches on each of my "holders' so I can glue up 3 strips at a time, if I want to.