Varnish for cedar strip canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
WJDC

Varnish for cedar strip canoe

Post by WJDC »

Mistakenly, I accepted advice from Rona hardware regarding marine spar varnish applied it and now have the enjoyable task of removing what isn't peeling off. Is sanding it off the best option overall versus any type of polar solution to apply?

WJDC
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The original problem may not be with the varnish. You do not mention what epoxy you used nor when the last coat of epoxy was applied and when the first coat of varnish was applied.

There could be surface contamination or blush on the epoxy.

There are certain brands of epoxy that are not compatible with certain brands of varnish but these cases are rare.

Now, to remove the peeling varnish, I guess it could depend on where you are working. If outdoors, you could use a varnish stripper but if indoors you might prefer to sand it off and use a shop vac hooked up to the sander. A respirator mask would also be a good option.
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

If it is peeling, I might try a scraper first, then sand what doesn't come off easily.
Alan
Denis

peeling varnish

Post by Denis »

Just wondering what you used to wash surface after sanding. I use plain clean water and a clean cloth and have had no problems with varnish adhering to epoxy.

Denis