Keel area herring bone popped during winter

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Robbie

Keel area herring bone popped during winter

Post by Robbie »

:shocked Hi, I just re-tacked the keel area back down to the stations after gluing them again. The winter was not good for me. So now I have to take the tacks back out and the staples removed in the area of repair and there is certainly some gaps now.
:thinking Can I fill in these gaps with a fillet while I'm putting the seal coat on? This would save some considerable time and effort I think.
Thanks for your help and ideas!
Cheers, Robbie.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Robbie,
i am guessing your gaps are between the strips rather than where they butt together at the ends? Try this technique:

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/c ... ng%20Gaps/

Hope that helps,

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Hi Greg, Thanks for your timely reply. The gaps are very narrow and I really don't want to have to fill them with slivers of cedar if I don't ahve to. Can I not just use an epoxy with a filler to fill these hairlines in?
Great pics on that site you directed me to. I enjoyed that!
Have a great day!
Cheers Robbie.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Sure, Robbie, you can either mix up some epoxy thickened with cedar dust or use a wood filler. I have done both. I use the Elmers stuff in tubes because it is water soluble, can be mixed to get the color you need, and it sands easily. But any of it will work.

Greg

PS: Glad you liked the pics.
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."