Stem bands on a kayak???

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Gene Burreson

Stem bands on a kayak???

Post by Gene Burreson »

I am building my second Endeavor kayak. I didn't put stem bands on my first one as Kayakcraft doesn't call for them. All canoes seem to have stem bands, but kayaks do not. Why is that? I would be interested in people's opinions on the pros and cons of stem bands on a kayak.

Thanks,
Gene
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Perhaps most people don't install a stem band on a kayak because in general kayaks are used less for trips that involve frequent beaching or they are subjected to less damage because of the "angle of attack" of the stems on most kayaks when compared to canoe stems.

I do know of one fellow who ended up installing a brass bow stem band on his S&G kayak because he frequently paddles in icy waters and hitting ice had worn right through the outer stem. :frightened

I think someone on this Forum has also installed a brass band on his kayak but I can't remember who it was. :thinking

Maybe someone else will add their voice to this thread.
KenC

Post by KenC »

I paddle an Endeavour without stem bands, and have not had any damage to the stems in 5 seasons of paddling. I do have 3 layers of 6 oz fg over the stems but there's barely a scratch on them.

I generally carry the kayak into the water, and enter/exit in a few inches of water, so the boat is floating, and not scraping on anything. Where I DO get some damage is in the "football" area of the hull (eastern Georgian Bay has a lot of barely submerged rocks which, when the conditions get hairy, are difficult to see).