Real Cane or Synthetic?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Billyjackass

Real Cane or Synthetic?

Post by Billyjackass »

I'm wondering if y'all would weigh in on using real vs. fake cane for canoe seats. I've seen posts in support of both options, and I was leaning towards the real thing, but I'm nervous about it being ruined when wet?
Doug

Post by Doug »

Real.
-mine is 3 years old, no problems
-molds nicely
-probably do have to take better care of it though.
-real wood, real cane
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

I have not woven my seats yet but I have purchased the synthetic material or "plastic cane". The reason is very simple. No stretch and not affected by sunlight. Natural cane stretches when wet and doesn't always return to the original shape leaving a "bowl" shape you see so frequently. It also doesn't need maintenance and easier to weave. IMHO
On several web sites, suppliers recommend plastic cane for canoes and all outdoor projects.
CYA, Joe
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I fall into the real cane camp. If properly sealed, real cane shouldn't stretch. I would think that plastic cane would stretch more but have no personal experience with it. I have one canoe that is 24 years old with the original cane and it has had no problems. It doesn't get alot of use and is kept in the garage when not in use however.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Billyjackass

Post by Billyjackass »

Thank you for the advice, all of you. Patrick's Dad, I am ignorant. When you say real cane that is "properly sealed", what does that entail?
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

2 or 3 coats of thinned varnish. Be sure to get it in the holes too (seal those before you cane and after you cane).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

I think we're back to the purist approach. All natural, etc. BUT Why do you use the new waterproof glues? Why do you use the UV protected varnish? Why do use machined bead and cove strips? Of course, they are better or more modern. I bet when your done with plastic cane, no one will ever know the difference and it was easier to weave, no soaking to soften, will be more color stable, doesn't require all the varnish coats and is more durable. This is not my opinion, it is the recommendation of the cane suppliers and outfitters. Outside, use plastic! That was good enough for me...
CYA, Joe
:thinking :thinking :thinking
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Mac McCarthy of Feathercraft Canoes says "natural for show, plastic to go".

I have only used natural so far because that is what I have.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

When I got my first plastic cane from H&H, I was going to send it back because I thought it was natural cane. I have only used the plastic for all the reasons mentioned above. No on has ever asked me why I used plastic cane. I don"t think they can tell the difference either.

No Muss, No fuss, no fading, no maintenance.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
bluedcanoed

Post by bluedcanoed »

H&H = Holland & Holland???

Bob
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I'll bet my last dollar that he means : http://www.hhperkins.com/
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Correct again, Glen!! It's been awhile since I bought anything there and remembered it wrong.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

I used the synthetic cane from hhperkins. It has no stretch at all after several years, and looks exactly the same as natural cane even on fairly close examination. I used it because I had been told that the natural stuff stretched a lot when wet, but that may not be true if properly treated.

Anyway, my conclusion is that both work fine, and bad things you hear about either are usually said by those who have experience with the other.

If I could find enough birchbark, I'd use genuine spruce roots to sew it on, pine pitch to seal the hull, and find the right thing for the seats. Since I'm using fiberglass and epoxy, I'm going for performance and beauty.
Alan
Billyjackass

Post by Billyjackass »

Thank you all very kindly. I'm doing a couple of canoes, so I think I'll try both types of cane and see how they fare.