Where the outside stem meets the keel

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Robbie

Where the outside stem meets the keel

Post by Robbie »

What joint should be used to attach these two pieces?
A scarf joint would probably be the stongest but should the scarf be on the booton of the
stem and on top of the keel of visa vera? i will be installing a brass stem band on the stem and keel.
When laying up the glass and wetting out how would I do this at this joint since the keel is added after the first wet out? I think I would have either cut the glass the hole length up to the joint to make it lay flat or cut a slit into the glass? :thinking
Let me know what you think and how you've done this....I may be making this joint way to complicated. Thanks :confused
Cheers Robbie.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Keels usually take a lot of punishment so applying glass over the keel will just make one more thing to repair. Apply the glass to the hull and install the keel over the glass then brush a few coats of epoxy on the keel. I bevelled the outer stems on the top and the keel on the bottom. This way, once the glass is applied, you just have to lay the keel in place on the hull and the bevelled joints will line up. Place a few screws through the hull into the keel using predrilled holes. Wax the srews first if you plan on removing them and plugging the holes. Do a dry run first to be sure you have a good fit.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Thanks Glen, That sounds like the best way to meet the stem to the keel. I read in one of my books that a butt joint should be used but I think the scarf joint would be better. I want to be able to remove a damaged keel if needed down the line and wasn;t going to glass over it anyway.
Thanks for your help and have a great day.
By the way...my glue up job on the outer stem wasn't very good. MY lamination skills suck.*L*
I re-glued the lamination and will take it off the jig a few days from now and start to fit this on the bow.
Cheers Robbie.
ealger

Stems

Post by ealger »

Robbie, sorry to hear that you're lamenting your laminations. :wink
For future reference, you're probably using 3 - 1/4" strips to make a 3/4" stem. I like to use 5 - .15" strips to make a 3/4" stem. It's a little more work to fabricate but easier to mold.
Ed...
Ed Alger
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Yes , your right except I decided to make the stem a bit thicker than 3/4 too. The reason for this? I have to shave a sand this stem onto the bow since the original maker of the inside stem has made that stem different for whatever reasons. So I'm toying with this part but am making progress. The bend in the stem I made is not far off the mark and will require a little molding but nothing that a spokeshave, a router and some sanding can't take care of.
Thanks again.
BTW I re-checked my re-lamination and am pleased with the outcome!
Cheers, Robbe.
ealger

Stems

Post by ealger »

Hmmm, Robbie, you did laminate the inside and outside stems at the same time over the stem mold (with a separator in between the inside and outside stems)? Some builders have tried to mold an outside stem over the mold without the inside stem in place. The curve of the outside stem will not be correct.
Also, it's a good idea to tie the 2 ends of the outside stem together while they are set aside until ready for installation. This keeps the stem from springing open.
Ed...
Last edited by ealger on Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Alger
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

:crying Too late Ed. When I bought the canoe the stem had alreadt been made with no outside to match. After the second attempt now, and it dosen't fit right, I give up. We're going stemless on the outside and that's final! :twisted evil
Now on with the project....wish me luck....I have a feeling I am really going to need it.... :confused
Cheers Robbie.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Welcome to the Dark Side!!

:wink

Greg (Stemless all the way)
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."