Lapstrake Boat Building

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Yasushi

Lapstrake Boat Building

Post by Yasushi »

Hello all,

I am a Japanese canoe builder, but have built just one stripped Bob’s special few yeas ago. I am in the process of building a lapstrake rowing/sailing small boat, which is a 10’2” Acorn Dinghy designed by Iain Oughtred. This is the first time for me to do such construction. In this process, since I have employed traditional way, I use cupper nail/rove for riveting in order to joint the lapstrake plank, instead of epoxy glue. Besides, I use the polyurethane caulking( 3M #4200) that works as bedding adhesive and caulking among the backbones such as transom, stem, and seam of lapstrake.
The major difference as compared with the strip building is to make a lapstrke plank using the spiling pattern that is used for taking a shape of the curved each plank.
Anyway, if you all have a time, browse my website attached that is showing my Acorn Dinghy project.
:wink :wink
http://www012.upp.so-net.ne.jp/kane-tok ... lding.html

In the meantime, up coming weekend the 3rd Small Crafts Builder’s Rendezvous will be held at Peterborough together with WCHA. Since there is so far away from Japan, I am not able to attend this time. Glen, and all other builders who participate there, I hope you all have enjoyable and successful rendezvous. And I am looking forward to seeing the much of pictures taken there.

Yasushi
Tokyo, Japan
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Yasushi-san,
Thanks so much for your post on lapstrake. I have been contemplating my next project and am considering a lapstrake rowboat for a change of pace. I will definitely spend much more time looking through your pictures (my Japanese reading skills are nill). Thanks again.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Love the pics.....now that is pretty skookum!!!
Yasushi

Post by Yasushi »

Hello Randy-san,

Thank you for your comments about my lapstrake project. I recommend you to do such boat building construction if you have much time. As you can see the pictures shown in my website, I have not yet completed the project. However, I love this construction because the lapstrake building used with flat lumber can make a fair round hull as well as strip planking.
Sorry for not describing in English about my Acorn Dinghy Project. I am considering that it should be described in English as well. But it would take a bit more time. Please wait for a while.

Thanks again for your interest in my project.

Yasushi
Tokyo, Japan
KenC

Post by KenC »

Ahhh .. the Acorn ... I really like Oughtred's designs and have spent many an hour contemplating the 15' version of the Acorn ... good luck with the build.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Yasushi,

Hello again. I wasn't able to make it to Peterborough this year either. I enjoyed meeting you there two years ago. Hopefully, we'll both be able to make the next one.

Your Acorn Dinghy Project is amazing. You do such great work. I remember seeing pictures of your Bob's Special and it too was incredible craftsmanship. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing with us.

mtpocket
Yasushi

Post by Yasushi »

Hello Mike,

I am very delighted to see you again on the forum as well. I remember that two years ago when we have been at the 2nd Small Craft Builder’s Rendezvous held in Peterborough. Yes, I also would like to together at the next one.
Thank you so much for your comments about my Acorn Project. At the moment, I am in the process of planking the 6th lapstrake. Certainly, I would like to update my website that is showing the building process of my Acorn.

Thanks again for your comments

Yasushi
Yasushi

Post by Yasushi »

Hello Dave and Ken,

Thank you for your comments. I am going to update the website for my Acorn Dinghy project up to the completion. If you have a time, check it from time to time.

Yasushi
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

AWESOME!
YASUSHI, You are a MASTER CRAFTSMAN !!!

I love your shop made clamps, but I'm confushed about your Skillsaw set up.

I understand the white adjusters, and the cam type adjustment, this might work for cutting strips. But the closeness to the blade puzzles me. What do you use this set up to cut?
I wish I had a grip on the Japanese language !!

Thank You for your sharing your skill with us ! I'm very impressed !
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

After closer examination, I see the use of your skillsaw set up !
the white plastic discs are guides to follow the pattern, for cutting planks!
Great setup !!
Thanks again !
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Yasushi

Post by Yasushi »

Hello Jim,

Thank you so much for your compliment and interest in my Acorn project.

I have made 21 of cam clamps as the lap-clamp used for my Acorn. To start this project, I have studied how to build tapstrake boat referring a couple of books (Building Small Boats by Greg Roessel, Clinker Boat Plywood Building Manual by Iain Oughtred, How to Build Gluled-Lapstrake Wooden Boat by John Brooks, Traditional Boatbuilding Made Easy by Richard Kolin and so on). All most all books use the cam clamp as lap-clamp, and recommend this one. Therefore I have made it. This was the first time to make that. But there are some reference articles as bellows;

http://www.woodshoptips.com/tips/050304/050304.pdf

Fine Woodworking Magazine #117

These are very nice references for making the clamp. Your also could make ones if you see such ones.
Anyway, this type of clamp is very convenient to hold the lapstrake planks by just one action and appropriate clamping pressure.

About the circular saw jig, your latest understanding is correct. The white plastic disc works as cam that sets the clearance between a batten used for fair curve and saw blade.
The clearance is set about 1/16” for normal curve cutting. If the curve becomes tighter, you should set it a bit wider. Anyway, since there should be a bit under-cut residue, you can flash with the batten by using trimming router. Then you can get a perfect curved plank for each lapstrake. This method is described in the book, How to Build Glued-Lapstrake Boatbuilding written by John Brooks. I believe that this book is very comprehensive, recommend this one if you are interested in such construction.

Thanks again for your comments

Yasushi
Tokyo, Japan