Silica Sand?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Billyjackass

Silica Sand?

Post by Billyjackass »

I have begun varnishing my Nomad, and I thought I read somewhere that one could mix silica sand with the varnish, for the bottom of the inside of the hull, creating a non-slip surface. Am I goofy? I know Epifanes makes paint with that ingredient, but has anyone done this with clear varnish?

Please and thank you.
sedges

skid no more

Post by sedges »

is the name of the material I use. By a company call NYBCo. It is made to be mixed in the coating, not sprinkled on after. It is very fine stuff and kneeling on it is no uncomfortable. I even kneel on it with bare knees. It takes very little of this stuff, just a few spoons full to a half pint of varnish, to make the surface non-skid. I have been using the same little bag of this stuff through a dozen new boats and several refinishes.

I mask off the bottom, no point in putting this on the sides.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Concur with Sedges. I used the same stuff, mixed in with the varnish for the bottom of the boat. It's a very nice surface. Be sure to tape off the hull at the bilge as it is noticeable where the transition is to plain varnish and you will want a neat line.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Billyjackass

Post by Billyjackass »

Gentlemen,

Thank you kindly. Is the product called silica sand or sedges? I'm having trouble locating a supplier online.

:confused
Billyjackass

Post by Billyjackass »

OK. I see the subject now, "skid no more". Google search is only giving me paint-on products, not powders?

Sorry to be such a needy student.

:embarassed
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

I bought some VERY similar material in the paint/finishing dept. of Home Depot. I was quite skeptical when I first opened the package since it was quite milky in color. But when I tested it by dusting a little of it into wet varnish (or epoxy - I don't remember which) it completely disappeared.

I bought a small pouch of it and there's miles of it left. You can go very sparingly with it.

In answer to one of your questions - it seems to be a kind of granular glass bead rather than a true sand.
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

I used a product called Skid-Tex from Bondex.
Picked it up at Home Depot. It's in a white plastic container with orange lid, like Elmers putty.
I mixed it in a few ounces of epoxy, taped off the bottom and poured it in, spread with squeegee and let set, pulling tape out before epoxy sets completely. Worked very well. No sharp points, edges or anything. It's all epoxy coated with gloss finish.
With my old ragged knees, I have to kneel on a folded towel, but the kids don't seem to mind the surface.

Rehd
Billyjackass

Post by Billyjackass »

Thank you kindly.