my first canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jimmar57

my first canoe

Post by jimmar57 »

Attached are photos of the Ranger 15 I just completed. It is the first boat I’ve ever built, in fact I’ve never even attempted a project like this before. Even though I’ve never posted here seeking help or advice, I’ve spent countless hours reading other posts. Thanks, this has been a valuable resource!

The canoe is a tank, I wanted something that could take a beating. I made many mistakes that thankfully are not fully revealed in photos or when the canoe is admired from a distance. It has ¼” cedar strips (mostly) with White Pine accent strips, Cherry gunnels and decks with Mulberry and Walnut accents, Ash and Cedar stems. I used 6 oz. glass inside and out, with an extra layer of 6 oz on the inside football. The stems have 2 additional layers of 6oz. The bottom of the hull has an extra layer of epoxy with graphite/silica powder. The seats and thwart are ash with polypro strapping. I used resin and glass from U.S. Composites.

With every mistake and correction I made, I thought to myself, “Now it has character, if it was perfect, no one could tell it was hand made”
camper1

Post by camper1 »

NICE boat!
willo

Post by willo »

Nice looking Ranger. I have built three , my first with all its mistakes and imperfections is and will always be my favorite.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Very nice! I hope you enjoy it for many years.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Jim,
A very nice canoe1 :applause I'm sure it will bring you hours of enjoyment in the years to come.

Now you can stop lurking and start posting!! :big grin

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

excellent job! She looks great! What's your next project?
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
jimmar57

Post by jimmar57 »

Thanks for the comments. My next project?...... I think some paddling/fishing/camping before I decide.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Great job. I hope you enjoy her this summer!

Snowman
Snowman back East
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

:tu Nice :applause

Take some time to enjoy your beautiful new boat. There's always more projects but not always time to enjoy the last one. I spent three winters building three different boats and hardly had time to enjoy any of them. I didn't build this year so I could enjoy the summer floating the last three projects.