screwed up the stems

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
NomadShawn

screwed up the stems

Post by NomadShawn »

Ok, so this is my first boat, and I shaped the stems at the first 4 or 5 strips correctly at 1/8th an inch leading edge, but got really excited while stripping and just continued all the way up, so now when I look at my leading iedge it is thicker than 1/8th an inch as it gets higher and also there are some gaps, I feel like it can be corrected somehow, looking for some tips, it just looks messy and I am concerned when I would put the outer stem on, and if i should fill all the gaps with epoxy or what the process should be to make it look best.
Thanks
NomadShawn
Rick

Post by Rick »

How much wider is the leading edge now?

If it hasn't become too wide, you should be able to sand away the difference in the strips to make the area smooth and fair again. This is a structurally a strong part of the hull and a thinner hull should still be able to take some abuse. You can reinforce the stem area with additional layers of glass to make it stronger if you feel it's necessary.

Gaps can be filled with epoxy thickened with sanding dust and chances are it won't look too bad after it's all sanded smooth.
Karl Huebner

Post by Karl Huebner »

I agree with Rick. I specialize in making mistakes.
One of my ends had a large gap. I just used some filler and got on with the canoe making ...
However, my canoes and kayaks are made to be functional, not furniture (I am envious of those who can... went to the BMB Rendezvous 2008 and was impressed with the art work. Look at Glen's 2008 pics to see what I am referring to. You will not see my canoe in any of the pictures!)

Karl Huebner
Delaware, Ohio
NomadShawn

Post by NomadShawn »

I think those are great suggestions, that was exactly what I was thinking, either that or crying cause I ruined my boat, but thanks a lot, it is about a quarter inch at some stupid point, what a bad builder I am, but I will learn to specialize in mistakes as well and this is my first boat... so yeah meant to be functional
thanks for providing me with the confedence to continue!!

Shawn
ealger

Stems

Post by ealger »

Well Shawn, on your next canoe (you'll want to build at least 3!), mark the inner stem down the center with an ink pen. Then mark along each side to create your 1/8" center or what ever width you desire. Then proceed to shave, plane, sand, or file to the line. The inked lines then let you know when your groove for the outer stem is cut deep enough.
Ed...
(The first 2 canoes you give away; you keep the third!) :wink
Ed Alger