which plane to buy

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
roger bebee

which plane to buy

Post by roger bebee »

I have made up my mind to buy a good block plane probably at lee vally. W hich would you recommend, the regular(45 degree) or the low angle (37 degree)
thanks for the advice
Roger :thinking
duncan

Post by duncan »

A lot of people recommend low angle. I can't offer much to that debate, but I can say that I have the Stanley block plane sold by Lee Valley and I find the iron moves around very easily. I would recommend a better made plane such as the Veritas planes (pricey but I'm sure they're worth it) or an older one if you can find one.

I bought my jack plane from an guy who sells older tools through an antique store, they don't make them like they used to!

Here's a link to a site full of information on older planes:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm

Good luck!
-Duncan
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Roger,
I am fortunate on my limited budget to own several Lee Valley planes. My absolute favorite is the low angle jack. What a plane!! If you are going to buy only one block plane, My vote would go for the low angle, as I believe it will be more versatile. The low angle will make end grain shaving a breeze. The area where it might get you into trouble, with tear-out on highly figured woods, you should probably use a scraper anyway.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."