Source for Cedar

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
DaveA

Source for Cedar

Post by DaveA »

Good day, I am getting ready to start my first canoe, the Prospector 16 from CanoeCraft.
I plan to make my own strips, can anyone recommend a source for quality cedar in south western Ontario? I am near Brantford & Cambridge.

Thanks,
Dave
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

A Google search turned up this source: http://www.amwoodinc.com/canada/woodFrame.html
David James

Post by David James »

Hi Dave

I don't know about a cedar source in your area, but I do know there's a good place in your town for fish & chips! A pub. Can't remember the name... east side of the main North -South street through town.

Anyway, good luck on your Prospector. I built a Freedom 17 and had a great time with it. You'll find lots of help and support from the folks who contribute to this forum.

best, Dave in Glenview Illinois
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

Glen, thanks for that, I had forgotten A&M. they have a very unique shop, well worth a visit. I bought some oak from them several years ago. Will try to get up there this week. I see they carry Western Red Canoe grade in 16ft lengths. Hopefully they have some longer lengths since I believe Canoe Craft recommended a foot longer than the canoe.

Is 17 feet in fact long enough for the prospector? ( just thinking about the wide beam on this design)

David, thanks, the pub english pub you remember it the St. George Arms. Let me know if you and your Freedom ever pass through again.

Dave
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

For the 16 foot Prospector, the longest strips will need to be about 16' 6" leaving you with a 3" excess at each end. Some builders may prefer the extra leverage provided by longer strips to coax them into a tight fit at the stems. You might want to see if you can get at least one board that is 18 feet long if you intend to build with full-length strips.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

This may be too far from you, but I found 18' lengths of Western Red Cedar at http://www.exotic-woods.com/domestic.aspx?s=c last year.
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

MrDave,
thanks another great tip. I know the area; was at Lee Valley near there just last weekend.
I see their prices seem to be about $2 PBF cheaper as well. All else being equal, thats a significant saving. I will visit both places.

Thanks again,
Dave
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Dave

When you go shopping for strip lumber, besure to look at the end grain of the planks!

Choose the ones that are slash cut, or the grain looks like a half moon, when the plank lays flat..

If the grain runs up and down, when the plank lays flat, this is quarter sawn, not what you want for strips. The quartersawn planks will yeild flimsy strips as well as several other draw backs.

Good luck

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

Jim.
Thanks for the tip. For some reason I had it in mind that I wanted quartersawn lumber. Your post made me rethink this. Other older posts here seem to be mixed on this one, and while Canoe Craft while describes edge grain vs face grain, it does not really make a recommendation.

After ripping the strips from flat sawn lumber I would end up with edge grain strips, which I think is the look I want.
Thanks for making me think this through before I get out there shopping!

Dave
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

After cutting your strips, they will be quartersawn.

I have bought both quartesawn and slash cut, and though the quartersawn planks can give some cool looking grain, they don't have the strength, will warp before you put them on the forms, and will cup when you sand.
Sorting planks is fun !
Every builder has their own method, If I can find planks that are slash cut, and get at least 50% as full length strips, or better, They come home !

I personally like light colored planks, they will eventually darken, but I like them light.

Good Luck

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
James Hanrahan

source for cedar

Post by James Hanrahan »

Dave, I purchased clear rough sawn Northern white cedar from a Mennonite sawmill near Keady last summer for a very fair price . You won't find them listed in any phone book etc.You may want to ask some local mennonites down your way for information on sawmills close to you that could supply air dried cedar. By the way, this was Manitoulin cedar. Apparantly there is no good old growth cedar availlable on the Bruce peninsula anymore.
James
KenC

Post by KenC »

I found both A&M and Exotic Woods very expensive, though I have to agree they both have some wonderful stock, and I have purchased hardwoods from EW.

I got clear cedar deck boards (5/4 x 6 - actual thickness 1") from Aitchison's in Hamilton ... near McMaster ... that was a few years ago, I don't know what they carry these days ... I got mine in 10' lengths, for ease of transport, but they also had 20' lengths. I have heard that they are sometimes uppity about allowing you to pick through the stock for the grain pattern, etc., but they didn't give me any grief about it.
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

Ken,
Thanks for the tip I will check out Aitchison's this week.
I went o Exotic Woods on the weekend, picking were very slim, he had may 6-10 boards, some were thin, none were very good. He indicated they were going to to try to order more in but said it would be significantly more money. Guess that explains why A&M is more money. Have not had a chance to visit there yet.

James,
thats anther good tip, thanks. It reminded me that I dopped into Bear Mountain a couple of summers ago and got a tour with Ted. While there, we ran into a fellow who got his cedar from a local mill, near London I think. I think I still have his card, will send him an email tonight.

The good news is the search for cedar is not slowing me down, yet. I started on the strong back yesterday!
JNewman

Post by JNewman »

Oliver lumber in Toronto is where I bought my cedar. They do have a minimum cash order, I think it is $400. But they are quite a bit cheaper than exotic woods I think I paid around $5/bf. You can order your gunwale material at the same time to help make your order up to the minimum. They will deliver for about $50. .
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

JNewman, thanks for the tip on Oliver, that is cheaper than the others I have seen. I will check them out next time; do they allow you to pick through their stock?

Another place I found near Stratford is http://www.hoffmeyersmill.on.ca/
I did not get a chance to check them out this time, bit will try to drop in the next time we are in town.

As it turns out, Exotic wood called me yesterday, they got a new shipment, he kept it out for me and I went down first think this morning. Beautiful clear boards, 8-10" in width. A little long at 17 - 20 feet. They were on a dolly which wheeled out side for me to go through.
Several of those boards are now in my garage! So I am one step closer.

A word on Exotic Woods, it is a family business and the the guys there are great, very accommodating. They allowed me to climb up into their racks to check through their boards on my first visit, and then move fast to get new stock in for me. I would definitely recommend them.

There are a dozen or so boards left if anyone is looking.