Endeavour Kayak - Lofting stem molds and other hiccups

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
arudson

Endeavour Kayak - Lofting stem molds and other hiccups

Post by arudson »

I have pretty much finished plotting the offsets for the mold stations of the Endeavour having the same problem as others with Station 15 (seems to be too many points on the 6” waterline). I also have strange sheer line points on Sections 1 and 7 – bending away from the curvature of the hull, and I remain a bit confused how to plot the 4” waterline – is this 4” up from the point on the station mold with the deepest waterline point?

My biggest problem, however, is presently with the plotting of the stems. On the bow stem, as an example, the sheer point gets plotted at 28-1/16’ and 1-9/16”. Now, when I draw the line connecting the points do I extend it up to where it meets the X axis - aka the baseline? I understand that I need to scale the line back 1” if I go with standard stems, however, I don’t understand how to plot the sheer line. Other than the one sheer point, what are the other points that define the slope/angel of this line? Similarly, how do I know where to cut the sheer clamp hole?

I have searched for these answers on this forum and haven’t found them. I am considering laying out the cash and just purchasing the plans which I suspect will resolve these problems, but I’m sure I am just missing a few things in my understanding and with a little guidance I’ll be able to get on with the next steps.

I would really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks.
Alan.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Have you seen this data? http://www.bearmountainboats.com/0-kayakstems.htm

and this? http://www.bearmountainboats.com/offset_lofting.htm

When I built my first boat, I attempted lofting but just didn't fully understand the procedure so I ended up buying the plans then I was able to loft any of the Bear Mountain designs from the offsets by referring to the one set of plans I had. It was a good investment!
wpeluso

Post by wpeluso »

Hello Alan,

I just finished looking at for the Endeavor 17 offsets and found the same issues. I was wondering if you were able to resolve the issues? I am ready to start building molds but am hesitant to do so.
Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Warren
arudson

Post by arudson »

Hi Warren - I gave in and bought the paper plans. This certainly cleared up my confusion but I am disappointed that I couldn't get comfortable just using the information in the book.
Alan Rudson
Nanaimo, BC
woodshop@shaw.ca
wpeluso

Post by wpeluso »

Thanks for the quick response Alan. I've concluded that I should buy the plans also. I don't think it's worth the time (and aggravation) involved to have to go back and rebuild mold stations that are in error due to possible mistakes in the published offset tables. As a point of interest, I'd sure like to know if the plans confirmed your suspicions about the offset tables.
Have you actually started your Endeavor 17 yet? I hope to be starting mine soon.

Warren Peluso
arudson

Post by arudson »

Once i decided to buy the plans, I never looked back. What I mean is I didn't compare the plans to the what I was able to draw from the offset tables. If you want to email me I will share some other learnings about what to expect from the purchase plans.

We are at the stage of installing our mold stations on the strongback. were not too far off from stripping which will be very exciting.
Alan Rudson
Nanaimo, BC
woodshop@shaw.ca
zonefour

Just one more plug for the plans

Post by zonefour »

I know it has been a while since the original post, but I want to add one more vote to the "just buy the plans" tally. I lofted from the book and did remarkably well for my first time trying. I too was confused by the stems which made me fork over the money for the plans. I am glad I did since the plans immediately showed some errors with the stems and saved me a lot of :crying time during the build.

Don't skimp on the plans! Save money on tools if you need to!